Zoom on the Powerhorse 4000
In summary, the Powerhorse 4000 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4000's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 3100W and also a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 95 dBA (which is pretty noisy), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons, the 4000 may run for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 4000 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 9 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the 4000 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Powerhorse 4000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 115 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 4000's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Powerhorse 4000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Powerhorse 4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 115 lbs, the Powerhorse 4000 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Generac GP3300i with only 59.5 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 95 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As the 4000 offers around 10.6 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.37 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Powerhorse 4000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (95 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||25.8/12.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||95 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750138|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2462 W||3462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2470 W||3060 W|
|Halogen work light||1000||1000|
|Total||2400 W||3500 W|
How many hours to run before changing oil (Asked October 11, 2020)
Oil change schedule is detailed page 40 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.