Zoom on the Powerhorse 4000
In summary, the Powerhorse 4000 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4000 houses a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3100W along with a peak wattage of 4000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 95 dBA (which is pretty noisy), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 4000 can operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 4000 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 9 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 4000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Powerhorse 4000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 115 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The 4000's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Powerhorse 4000 is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
The Powerhorse 4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 115 pounds, the Powerhorse 4000 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 95 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- The 4000, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.6 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.37 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Powerhorse 4000 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (95 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||25.8/12.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||95 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750138|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2467 W||3942 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||2475 W||2895 W|
|Halogen work light||1000||1000|
|Total||2400 W||3500 W|
How many hours to run before changing oil (Asked October 11, 2020)
Oil change schedule is detailed page 40 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.