This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
It was replaced by the Powerhorse 4500. However, you might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Powerhorse 4000
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 4000 is powered by a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3100W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W.
With a noise rating of 95 dBA (which is pretty noisy), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The 4000 can operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.37 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.9 gallons.
As the 4000 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 9 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
As the 4000 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Powerhorse 4000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 115 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The 4000's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Powerhorse 4000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Powerhorse 4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 115 pounds, the Powerhorse 4000 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM3300i, with a dry weight of just 47.4 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 95 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The 4000, offering a run time of around 10.6 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Predator 4375, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.37 GPH at a 50% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (115 lbs)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (95 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3100 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||25.8/12.9 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||95 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750138|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||2462 W||3462 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2470 W||3060 W|
|Halogen work light||1000||1000|
|Total||2400 W||3500 W|
How many hours to run before changing oil (Asked October 11, 2020)
Oil change schedule is detailed page 40 of the owner's manual (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.