Zoom on the Powerhorse 2500
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 2500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2500 houses a 212 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 2,000W along with a peak wattage of 2,500W.
At a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The 2500 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The 2500 generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
With its dimensions of L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 2500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 100 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 2500 and its control panel include a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Powerhorse 2500 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Powerhorse 2500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- A weight of 100 lbs makes the Powerhorse 2500 one of the heavier devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 67 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Since the 2500 boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG3250, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.36 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.11 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Clean sine wave
- High run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (100 lbs)
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|212 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)
|1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)
|Steel, 4 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse 2500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Cell phone charger
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.