-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 0
Zoom on the Powerhorse 2500
In summary, the Powerhorse 2500 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 2,500W.
At a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 2500 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 2500 produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Powerhorse 2500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 100 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 2500's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Powerhorse 2500 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Powerhorse 2500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- A weight of 100 lbs makes the Powerhorse 2500 one of the heavier devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 67 dBA is on the noisier side. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As the 2500 features an autonomy of around 11 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Pulsar PG3250, with around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.36 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.11 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Clean sine wave
- High run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (100 lbs)
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2,000 W|
|Starting watts||2,500 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peak amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Country of origin||China|
|Other model numbers||750137|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse 2500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1595 W||1675 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1590 W||2180 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.