Zoom on the Powerhorse 2500
In summary, the Powerhorse 2500 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2000W and reaches a peak wattage of 2500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 2500 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The 2500 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its dimensions of L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 2500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 100 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the 2500 includes a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Powerhorse 2500 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The Powerhorse 2500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a dry weight of 100 pounds, the Powerhorse 2500 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 1500 and 2500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 67 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Since the 2500 boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides around 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.12 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Clean sine wave
- High run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (100 lbs)
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750137|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 2500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1482 W||2482 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1580 W||2000 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.