Zoom on the Powerhorse 2500
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 2500 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2500's engine, 212 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2000W and reaches a peak wattage of 2500W.
With a noise rating of 67 dBA (less noisy than an office), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the 2500 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.36 GPH).
The 2500 generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The design of the Powerhorse 2500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L25.4 x W18.8 x H19.8 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 100 lbs. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the 2500 includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Powerhorse 2500 also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away.
The Powerhorse 2500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 100 lbs, the Powerhorse 2500 is one of the heavier generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 67 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Since the 2500 boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides around 20 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.36 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2200, with a fuel consumption of 0.12 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Clean sine wave
- High run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (100 lbs)
- On the noisy side (67 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2000 W|
|Starting watts||2500 W|
|Running amps||16.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.4 x 18.8 x 19.8 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||67 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||750137|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 2500 is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||1595 W||1675 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1590 W||2180 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1590 W||1590 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.