Zoom on the Powerhorse 2300i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 2300i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2300i's engine, 80 cc (3 hp) OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1800W and reaches a peak wattage of 2300W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (89778 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.18 gallon, the 2300i can operate for up to 8.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 2300i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
While this Powerhorse generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Powerhorse 2300i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22 x W13.3 x H19.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 2300i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 54 lbs. In addition, its nifty handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy transport of the 2300i from place to place.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Powerhorse 2300i also comes with some accessories: funnel and tool kit are included.
The Powerhorse 2300i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2300i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2300i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 54 pounds, the Powerhorse 2300i falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the 2300i, reaching up to 8.8 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2300i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.18 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 13.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||83169|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 2300i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What kind of oil does it take? (Asked May 23, 2020)
Recommended oil is SAE-10W30. The engine's oil capacity is 0.42 qt. (13.4 fl. oz.)
Can you add a auxiliary fuel tank to this power horse 2300i (Asked October 25, 2020)
It could be possible, but the unit does not have a fuel pump, so it would have to be gravity-fed.
Is there a way to use on a 230v circuit? (Asked October 28, 2020)
Possibly, with an appropriate step up transformer (opens in a new tab).
What is needed to make unit RV ready? (Asked February 16, 2021)
It would need a TT-30R outlet. Refer to our definition of RV-Ready.
Ii need plastic kit and parts. Where can I get them from (Asked March 09, 2021)
Replacement parts can be purchased through Northern Tool.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.