ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 27
Zoom on the Powerhorse 2300i
In summary, the Powerhorse 2300i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2300i houses a 80 cc (3 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1,800W along with a peak wattage of 2,300W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (89778 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.18 gallon, the 2300i can operate for up to 8.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 2300i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <1.5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
This Powerhorse generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
As the Powerhorse 2300i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22 x W13.3 x H19.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
As the 2300i's weight is only 54 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the 2300i features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Powerhorse 2300i's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The Powerhorse 2300i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2300i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2300i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a dry weight of 54 pounds, the Powerhorse 2300i is one of the heavier inverters which can produce between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM2000i with only 34.2 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU2200i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 48 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the 2300i, with an autonomy of up to 8.8 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, as it provides up to 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.13 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Powerhorse 2300i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the heavy side (54 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1,800 W|
|Starting watts||2,300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peak amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.18 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 13.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Country of origin||Vietnam|
|Other model numbers||83169|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China or Vietnam.
The Powerhorse 2300i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What kind of oil does it take? (Asked May 23, 2020)
Recommended oil is SAE-10W30. The engine's oil capacity is 0.42 qt. (13.4 fl. oz.)
Can you add a auxiliary fuel tank to this power horse 2300i (Asked October 25, 2020)
It could be possible, but the unit does not have a fuel pump, so it would have to be gravity-fed.
Is there a way to use on a 230v circuit? (Asked October 28, 2020)
Possibly, with an appropriate step up transformer (opens in a new tab).
What is needed to make unit RV ready? (Asked February 16, 2021)
It would need a TT-30R outlet. Refer to our definition of RV-Ready.
Ii need plastic kit and parts. Where can I get them from (Asked March 09, 2021)
Replacement parts can be purchased through Northern Tool.
What spark plug to use (Asked August 17, 2021)
NGK spark plug should be BP7HS or BPR7HS.
I need to change the air filter? (Asked September 23, 2022)
Air filter part number is #801847. It can be purchased through Norther Tool.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I purchased a pair of these to power my 30ft 5th wheel camper. They run the whole house when in parallel, so long as the hot water heater doesn’t come on with A/C and microwave already going. Just 1 generator will power my Coleman Mach 15K BTU roof AC, along with my power convertor (battery charger/12v power supply). Run time on 1 full tank running wide open was just over 6.5 hours.