Zoom on the Powerhorse 2300i
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 2300i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2300i is powered by a 80 cc (3 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 1800W as well as a peak wattage of 2300W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (89778 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.18 gallon, the 2300i can operate for up to 8.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 2300i produces a clean sine wave, with a <1.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
While this Powerhorse generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Since the Powerhorse 2300i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L22 x W13.3 x H19.3 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
The 2300i's dry weight of 54 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Furthermore, moving the 2300i from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powerhorse 2300i, the following accessories are also included: funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse 2300i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2300i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2300i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- As its weight is 54 pounds, the Powerhorse 2300i falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 200949 with only 38.6 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 8.8 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 2300i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 2000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2300i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.18 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 13.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||83169|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 2300i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1420 W||1420 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What kind of oil does it take? (Asked May 23, 2020)
Recommended oil is SAE-10W30. The engine's oil capacity is 0.42 qt. (13.4 fl. oz.)
Can you add a auxiliary fuel tank to this power horse 2300i (Asked October 25, 2020)
It could be possible, but the unit does not have a fuel pump, so it would have to be gravity-fed.
Is there a way to use on a 230v circuit? (Asked October 28, 2020)
Possibly, with an appropriate step up transformer (opens in a new tab).
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.