Zoom on the Powerhorse 2300i
In summary, the Powerhorse 2300i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 2300i's core is the 80 cc (3 hp) OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2300W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (89778 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
At a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.18 gallon, the 2300i may run for up to 8.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.13 GPH).
The 2300i generates a clean sine wave: providing <1.5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Even though this Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Powerhorse 2300i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L22 x W13.3 x H19.3 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The 54 lbs of the 2300i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, displacement is an easy task, as the 2300i features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Powerhorse 2300i, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and funnel.
The Powerhorse 2300i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 2300i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 2300i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- At a weight of 54 pounds, the Powerhorse 2300i places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 8.8 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the 2300i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Standing at an estimated 0.13 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Predator 2000. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.08 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Powerhorse 2300i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- Decent weight (54 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||80 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2300 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||19.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||8.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.18 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22 x 13.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 2300i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1287 W||2287 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||1435 W||2025 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
What kind of oil does it take? (Asked May 23, 2020)
Recommended oil is SAE-10W30. The engine's oil capacity is 0.42 qt. (13.4 fl. oz.)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.