Zoom on the Powerhorse 11050
In summary, the Powerhorse 11050 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 11050 is powered by a 457 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8400W as well as a peak wattage of 11050W.
At a noise rating of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a conventional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
The 11050 can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the 11050 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
With its dimensions of L30 x W26.3 x H26.1 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 11050 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 260 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the 11050's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Powerhorse 11050 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel and tool kit.
The Powerhorse 11050 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 11050 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 11050 compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- A weight of 260 lbs makes the Powerhorse 11050 one of the heavier devices in the 7500-8500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Predator 9500, whose lowest noise levels reach just 67 dBA.
- The 11050's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Powerhorse 11050 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Weak warranty
- On the heavy side (260 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||8400 W|
|Starting watts||11050 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70/35 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||92.1/46 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Fuel tank||6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 26.3 x 26.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||102221|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 11050 is covered under a warranty for up to 90 days. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6692 W||8192 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6695 W||7285 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.