Zoom on the Powerhorse 11000ES
In summary, the Powerhorse 11000ES is a powerful portable generator especially useful for homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout.
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 11000ES is powered by a 457 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8400W as well as a peak wattage of 11000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the 11000ES can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 11000ES generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 10 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
With its dimensions of L29.3 x W26.6 x H26.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 11000ES offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 209 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The 11000ES's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powerhorse also included a tool kit in the 11000ES's packaging.
The Powerhorse 11000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 11000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 11000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 209 lbs, the Powerhorse 11000ES belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, with a dry weight of only 183 lbs.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Predator 9500 with only 67 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 11000ES falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Westinghouse WPro8500 is a device you should look out for.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (209 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8400 W|
|Starting watts||11000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70/35 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||91.7/45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.3 x 26.6 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750144|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 11000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||6712 W||8187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6700 W||7120 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.