Zoom on the Powerhorse 11000ES
In a nutshell, the Powerhorse 11000ES is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 11000ES is powered by a 457 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8400W as well as a peak wattage of 11000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the 11000ES can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the 11000ES generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 10 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Even though this Powerhorse generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
With its dimensions of L29.3 x W26.6 x H26.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 11000ES offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 209 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
To help you monitor the 11000ES's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
In addition to this info, a light indicator serves to show you when its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powerhorse also included a tool kit in the 11000ES's packaging.
The Powerhorse 11000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 11000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 11000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- With a dry weight of 209 pounds, the Powerhorse 11000ES finds itself in the expected weight range for generators able to produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, with a dry weight of only 185 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Powermate DF7500E, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 68 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 8.5 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the 11000ES falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Firman H08053, as it provides around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG10000B16, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Powerhorse 11000ES is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (209 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8400 W|
|Starting watts||11000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70/35 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||91.7/45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.3 x 26.6 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750144|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On".
The Powerhorse 11000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||6712 W||8187 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6700 W||7120 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.