Zoom on the Powerhorse 11000ES
In summary, the Powerhorse 11000ES is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
Power & Run Time
The Powerhorse 11000ES houses a 457 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 8400W along with a peak wattage of 11000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.6 gallons, the 11000ES can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.78 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the 11000ES produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 10 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style) receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Powerhorse generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
With its dimensions of L29.3 x W26.6 x H26.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Powerhorse 11000ES offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 209 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The control panel of the 11000ES includes a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Powerhorse also included a tool kit in the 11000ES's packaging.
The Powerhorse 11000ES is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Powerhorse 11000ES versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Powerhorse 11000ES compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 209 lbs, the Powerhorse 11000ES belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000 with only 183 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Predator 9500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 67 dBA.
- The 11000ES's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, which is able to run for around 12.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.78 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (209 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- On the noisy side (78 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||457 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||8400 W|
|Starting watts||11000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||70/35 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||91.7/45.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A (cigarette lighter style)|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.3 x 26.6 x 26.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||750144|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Powerhorse is a trademarked brand name of gas-powered outdoor products owned and distributed by the Northern Tool & Equipment Company Inc. through their store locations and online. Powerhorse outdoor products include gas- and electric-powered tools including pressure washers, wood chippers/shredders, log splitters, electric generators and inverters. The product line also offers engines and water pumps. The brand's motto is "Power You Can Depend On". Powerhorse generators are engineered, developed and tested in Minnesota, but manufactured in China.
The Powerhorse 11000ES is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Powerhorse generators, please contact the Powerhorse Customer Support: 1-866-443-2576.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6712 W||8212 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6710 W||7300 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||6390 W||10890 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.