Zoom on the NorthStar e18000s
In a nutshell, the NorthStar e18000s is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The NorthStar e18000s houses a NorthStar e825 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 15,000W along with a peak wattage of 18,000W.
The generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
The e18000s can operate for around 7.9 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.52 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 12 gallons.
The e18000s produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 9 AC outlets:
Even though this NorthStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the e18000s bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The NorthStar e18000s has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L43 x W36 x H35 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 423 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the e18000s's status and activity, the unit's control panel is equipped with a digital display that provides extensive information on the generator (more information about it below).
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, NorthStar also included a funnel in the e18000s's packaging.
The unit is fitted with a colored, multi-function LCD display that offers simple, yet incredinbly exhaustive, at-a-glance monitoring. It features 3 screens:
- Home: Gives you information about the load that is connected, fuel level, estimated remaining run time, and total runtime of the generator
- Service: Displays maintenance intervals and the time remaining before each service is due
- Diagnostic: Provides various electrical data, such as voltage, current, and frequency
The NorthStar e18000s is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The NorthStar e18000s versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the NorthStar e18000s compare to generators of similar power (between 14000 and 20000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the NorthStar e18000s only weighs in at 423 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 14000-20000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP15000E, weighing just 363 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7.9 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the e18000s falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen20000, boasting with around 11 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank's capacity and thus, doesn't say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 1.52 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Generac GP15500EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 1.29 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 14000-20000W generators, the NorthStar e18000s is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Excellent display, full of information
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Rare 60-amp outlet
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Lightweight for its kind (423 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Made in USA
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|NorthStar e825 OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time, voltage and frequency
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|43 x 36 x 35 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
NorthStar is a brand of outdoor power equipment trademarked and sold by the Northern Tool + Equipment company which has been based in Burnsville, Minnesota, USA since being founded in 1981. NorthStar products include log splitters, portable generators, air compressors, and pressure washers. Their line of commercial-grade portable generators is manufactured in the US. With many units powered by Honda engines, NorthStar outdoor power tools make up a large percentage of the product line for the fast-growing Northern Tool company.
The NorthStar e18000s is covered under a warranty for up to 4 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar generators, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.