Zoom on the NorthStar e14000s
In summary, the NorthStar e14000s is a powerful portable generator especially useful for professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure.
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The NorthStar e14000s's engine, NorthStar e670 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 12,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 14,000W.
This generator gets running thanks to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) system enhances the engine's reliability, lowers fuel consumption, improves startup, reduces servicing, boosts stale fuel resistance, and offers better altitude adaptability.
With a fuel capacity of 12 gallons, the e14000s may run for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.2 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the e14000s produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 9 AC outlets:
This NorthStar generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the e14000s is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The NorthStar e14000s has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L43 x W36 x H35 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 388 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the e14000s's status and activity, the unit's control panel is equipped with a digital display that provides extensive information on the generator (more information about it below).
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, NorthStar also included a funnel in the e14000s's packaging.
The unit is fitted with a colored, multi-function LCD display that offers simple, yet incredinbly exhaustive, at-a-glance monitoring. It features 3 screens:
- Home: Gives you information about the load that is connected, fuel level, estimated remaining run time, and total runtime of the generator
- Service: Displays maintenance intervals and the time remaining before each service is due
- Diagnostic: Provides various electrical data, such as voltage, current, and frequency
The NorthStar e14000s is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The NorthStar e14000s versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the NorthStar e14000s compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- At a dry weight of 388 pounds, the NorthStar e14000s is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 10000 and 14000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, standing at just 218 lbs.
- The e14000s, offering a run time of around 10 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 1.2 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA13000EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.78 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the NorthStar e14000s is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Excellent display, full of information
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Electronic Fuel Injection
- Made in USA
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (388 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|NorthStar e670 OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, remaining run time, voltage and frequency
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|43 x 36 x 35 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
NorthStar is a brand of outdoor power equipment trademarked and sold by the Northern Tool + Equipment company which has been based in Burnsville, Minnesota, USA since being founded in 1981. NorthStar products include log splitters, portable generators, air compressors, and pressure washers. Their line of commercial-grade portable generators is manufactured in the US. With many units powered by Honda engines, NorthStar outdoor power tools make up a large percentage of the product line for the fast-growing Northern Tool company.
The NorthStar e14000s is covered under a warranty for up to 4 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar generators, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Electric fence (25 miles)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.