Zoom on the NorthStar c8000s
In summary, the NorthStar c8000s is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The NorthStar c8000s's engine, 389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6,600W and reaches a peak wattage of 8,000W.
Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the c8000s may run for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.75 GPH).
The c8000s generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 8 AC outlets:
While this NorthStar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the c8000s holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The NorthStar c8000s has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L41 x W32 x H29 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 280 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the c8000s's status and activity, the unit's control panel is equipped with a digital display that provides extensive information on the generator (more information about it below).
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, NorthStar also included a funnel in the c8000s's packaging.
The unit is fitted with a colored, multi-function LCD display that offers simple, yet incredinbly exhaustive, at-a-glance monitoring. It features 3 screens:
- Home: Gives you information about the load that is connected, fuel level, and total runtime of the generator
- Service: Displays maintenance intervals and the time remaining before each service is due
- Diagnostic: Provides various electrical data, such as voltage, current, and frequency
The NorthStar c8000s is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The NorthStar c8000s versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the NorthStar c8000s compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- At a dry weight of 280 pounds, the NorthStar c8000s is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- The c8000s, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.6 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 9000, reaching around 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.75 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH, the Energizer eZV7500 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the NorthStar c8000s is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Excellent display, full of information
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- Honda engine
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Made in USA
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (280 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|389 cc Honda GX390 OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|41 x 32 x 29 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
NorthStar is a brand of outdoor power equipment trademarked and sold by the Northern Tool + Equipment company which has been based in Burnsville, Minnesota, USA since being founded in 1981. NorthStar products include log splitters, portable generators, air compressors, and pressure washers. Their line of commercial-grade portable generators is manufactured in the US. With many units powered by Honda engines, NorthStar outdoor power tools make up a large percentage of the product line for the fast-growing Northern Tool company.
The NorthStar c8000s is covered under a warranty for up to 4 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar generators, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Cell phone charger
|Air compressor (1 hp)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.