Zoom on the NorthStar c15000s
In a nutshell, the NorthStar c15000s is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working.
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The NorthStar c15000s's engine, 688 cc Honda GX690 OHV V-Twin, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 13,500W and reaches a peak wattage of 15,000W.
The generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 12 gallons, the c15000s can operate for around 10.6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.13 GPH).
As the c15000s produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 9 AC outlets:
While this NorthStar generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the c15000s bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The NorthStar c15000s has the following dimensions: L43 x W36 x H35 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 390 lbs. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the c15000s's status and activity, the unit's control panel is equipped with a digital display that provides extensive information on the generator (more information about it below).
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also includes a carbon monoxide sensor. This sensor is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, NorthStar also included a funnel in the c15000s's packaging.
The unit is fitted with a colored, multi-function LCD display that offers simple, yet incredinbly exhaustive, at-a-glance monitoring. It features 3 screens:
- Home: Gives you information about the load that is connected, fuel level, and total runtime of the generator
- Service: Displays maintenance intervals and the time remaining before each service is due
- Diagnostic: Provides various electrical data, such as voltage, current, and frequency
The NorthStar c15000s is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The NorthStar c15000s versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the NorthStar c15000s compare to generators of similar power (between 10000 and 14000 W).
- As its dry weight is 390 pounds, the NorthStar c15000s is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 10000 to 14000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a dry weight of just 218 pounds.
- The c15000s, offering a run time of around 10.6 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Powerhorse 13000ES, boasting with around 15 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank's capacity and thus, doesn't say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 1.13 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the A-iPower SUA13000EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.78 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 10000-14000W generators, the NorthStar c15000s is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Excellent display, full of information
- CO Sensor
- GFCI Outlets
- Rare 60-amp outlet
- Impressive quantity of AC outlets
- 4 different AC outlet types
- Honda engine
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Made in USA
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (390 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|688 cc Honda GX690 OHV V-Twin
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|43 x 36 x 35 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Funnel, battery, and wheel kit
|Country of origin
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
NorthStar is a brand of outdoor power equipment trademarked and sold by the Northern Tool + Equipment company which has been based in Burnsville, Minnesota, USA since being founded in 1981. NorthStar products include log splitters, portable generators, air compressors, and pressure washers. Their line of commercial-grade portable generators is manufactured in the US. With many units powered by Honda engines, NorthStar outdoor power tools make up a large percentage of the product line for the fast-growing Northern Tool company.
The NorthStar c15000s is covered under a warranty for up to 4 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of NorthStar generators, please contact the NorthStar Customer Support: 1-800-270-0810.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.