Zoom on the Lifan LF4250EPL
In a nutshell, the Lifan LF4250EPL is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan LF4250EPL's build contains a gasoline-fueled 212 cc (7 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3500W and also a peak wattage of 4250W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the LF4250EPL can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the LF4250EPL produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 3 DC outlets: there's two 12V 8A receptacles allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.Since the LF4250EPL bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L25.5 x W19.3 x H19.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Lifan LF4250EPL offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 104 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
The LF4250EPL's status and activity may be monitored conveniently via the control panel, as it features a convenient meter, which displays voltage, frequency and lifetime hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Lifan LF4250EPL's package also includes these accessories: tool kit and battery charging cables.
The Lifan LF4250EPL is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan LF4250EPL versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan LF4250EPL compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Having a dry weight of 104 lbs, the Lifan LF4250EPL belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3000 to 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Westinghouse iGen4500. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering around 12 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the LF4250EPL is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, reaching around 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Lifan LF4250EPL is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Clean sine wave
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4250 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||35.4 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||25.5 x 19.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan LF4250EPL is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.