Zoom on the Lifan LF4000
In a nutshell, the Lifan LF4000 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan LF4000 is powered by a 212 cc (7 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the LF4000 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the LF4000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Lifan LF4000, which are L25.5 x W19.3 x H19.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 104 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable).
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
The LF4000 and its control panel include a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the LF4000's packaging.
The Lifan LF4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan LF4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan LF4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 104 lbs, the Lifan LF4000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Cat INV4000E with only 51 dBA.
- The LF4000, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 12 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Predator 4375, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Lifan LF4000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25.5 x 19.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan LF4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2797 W||3897 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.