Zoom on the Lifan LF4000
In summary, the Lifan LF4000 is a compact portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan LF4000 houses a 212 cc (7 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the LF4000 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease and a 5V USB port with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the LF4000 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The dimensions of the Lifan LF4000, which are L25.5 x W19.3 x H19.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 104 lbs.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
The control panel of the LF4000 includes a convenient meter showing you voltage, frequency and lifetime hours, helpful for the monitoring of its status and activity.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the LF4000's packaging.
The Lifan LF4000 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan LF4000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan LF4000 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 104 lbs, the Lifan LF4000 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Generac GP3500iO, weighing just 74.3 pounds.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 65 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Westinghouse iGen4500, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Given that the LF4000 reaches an autonomy of 12 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides 16 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Lifan LF4000 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Where to buy the Lifan LF4000?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle |
1x 5V USB port
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||25.5 x 19.3 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan LF4000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.