Zoom on the Lifan ES8100E
In summary, the Lifan ES8100E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES8100E's core is the 420 cc (15 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7500W and a peak wattage of 8100W.
With a noise rating of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons, the ES8100E may run for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.81 GPH).
The control panel features the following 8 AC outlets:
Even though this Lifan generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the ES8100E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The design of the Lifan ES8100E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27 x W20 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 190 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES8100E's packaging.
The Lifan ES8100E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES8100E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES8100E compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Lifan ES8100E weighs just 190 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 7000 to 8000 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, weighing just 133 pounds.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 75 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF with only 65 dBA.
- The ES8100E’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8 hours at 50% load on a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which is able to run for around 13 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.81 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.52 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Lifan ES8100E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (190 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (75 dBA)
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||8100 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.5/33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES8100E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5967 W||7442 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.