Zoom on the Lifan ES8100E
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES8100E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES8100E is powered by a 420 cc (15 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7500W as well as a peak wattage of 8100W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery not included).
The fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons allows the ES8100E to operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.81 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 8 AC outlets:
While this Lifan generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the ES8100E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Lifan ES8100E has the following dimensions: L27 x W20 x H21 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 190 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES8100E's packaging.
The Lifan ES8100E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES8100E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES8100E compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Lifan ES8100E stands at only 190 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 7000-8000 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 75 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 65 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the ES8100E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the A-iPower SUA8000iSF, reaching around 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.81 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the A-iPower SUA8000iSF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.52 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7000-8000W generators, the Lifan ES8100E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (190 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (75 dBA)
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||8100 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.5/33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES8100E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7092 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.