Zoom on the Lifan ES8100E
In summary, the Lifan ES8100E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES8100E houses a 420 cc (15 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 7500W along with a peak wattage of 8100W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons, the ES8100E can operate for around 8 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.81 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 8 AC outlets:
Even though this Lifan generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the ES8100E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Lifan ES8100E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L27 x W20 x H21 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 190 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES8100E's packaging.
The Lifan ES8100E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES8100E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES8100E compare to generators of similar power (between 7000 and 8000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 190 lbs, the Lifan ES8100E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7000 and 8000 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- Because this generator emits noise as low as 75 dBA, it can be considered to have a pretty average expected noise rating for a device of its power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Genmax GM9000iE with only 62 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 8 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the ES8100E is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Predator 9000, as it provides around 13 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.81 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.52 GPH, the A-iPower SUA8000iSF is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Decent weight (190 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (75 dBA)
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7500 W|
|Starting watts||8100 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||62.5/31.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||67.5/33.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 20 x 21 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES8100E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5992 W||7492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5995 W||6585 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.