Zoom on the Lifan ES5700
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES5700 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES5700 is powered by a 389 cc (13 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5000W as well as a peak wattage of 5700W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 75 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the ES5700 can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.65 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 6.5 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 9 AC outlets:
Even though this Lifan generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Lifan ES5700 has the following dimensions: L27 x W20 x H22 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 179 pounds. Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES5700's packaging.
The Lifan ES5700 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES5700 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES5700 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- A weight of 179 lbs makes the Lifan ES5700 one of the heavier devices in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, with a dry weight of only 106.9 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 75 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the ES5700, with an autonomy of around 10 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, reaching around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.65 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Genmax GM5500i. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.41 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
The Lifan ES5700 doesn't have any specs that exceed those of other generators of its class.
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (179 lbs)
- On the noisy side (75 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||5700 W|
|Running amps||41.7 amps|
|Peak amps||47.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27 x 20 x 22 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||75 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES5700 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||4992 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2950 W||5650 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.