Zoom on the Lifan ES4150-CA
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES4150-CA is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES4150-CA is powered by a 225 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3200W as well as a peak wattage of 3500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 68 dBA (less noisy than a normal conversation), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 4 gallons, the ES4150-CA can operate for around 10 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Even though this Lifan generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The design of the Lifan ES4150-CA is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L23.5 x W17.5 x H18 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 94 lbs of the ES4150-CA's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
Monitoring of the ES4150-CA's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Lifan ES4150-CA's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Lifan ES4150-CA is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Lifan ES4150-CA versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES4150-CA compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 94 pounds, the Lifan ES4150-CA falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of just 66.1 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 68 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- Given that the ES4150-CA reaches an autonomy of around 10 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, with around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.4 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen4200, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.17 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
The Lifan ES4150-CA doesn't have any specs that exceed those of other generators of its class.
- Decent weight (94 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (68 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||225 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.5 x 17.5 x 18 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||68 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES4150-CA is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2492 W||3492 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.