Zoom on the Lifan ES4100E
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES4100E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES4100E is powered by a 212 cc (7 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery not included). It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
With a full tank, the ES4100E can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
This Lifan generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Lifan ES4100E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L25 x W20 x H24 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 118 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES4100E's packaging.
The Lifan ES4100E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES4100E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES4100E compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its weight is 118 pounds, the Lifan ES4100E falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- The ES4100E, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 12 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000X, which is able to run for around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Lifan ES4100E is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Decent weight (118 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- Battery not included
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||33.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||25 x 20 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES4100E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2767 W||3767 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||2790 W||3380 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.