Zoom on the Lifan ES4100
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES4100 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES4100 is powered by a 212 cc (7 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4100W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 4 gallons allows the ES4100 to operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
While this Lifan generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The dimensions of the Lifan ES4100, which are L23 x W13 x H15 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 104 pounds.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES4100's packaging.
The Lifan ES4100 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES4100 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES4100 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 104 lbs, the Lifan ES4100 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- As this generator can emit noise as low as 65 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Cat INV4000E, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 51 dBA.
- Given that the ES4100 reaches an autonomy of around 12 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000X, boasting with around 16 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Lifan ES4100 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4100 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||34.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 13 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES4100 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2792 W||3792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.