Zoom on the Lifan ES4100
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES4100 is a compact portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES4100 is powered by a 212 cc (7 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3500W as well as a peak wattage of 4100W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
The ES4100 can operate for around 12 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.33 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 4 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even if this Lifan generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
With its dimensions of L23 x W13 x H15 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Lifan ES4100 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 104 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES4100's packaging.
The Lifan ES4100 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES4100 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES4100 compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 104 lbs, the Lifan ES4100 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- Since the generator's noise is rated at 65 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Given that the ES4100 reaches an autonomy of around 12 hours with a full tank and at 50% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EB4000, boasting with around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.33 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Lifan ES4100 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (104 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4100 W|
|Running amps||29.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||34.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||12 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||3x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Fuel tank||Steel, 4 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||23 x 13 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES4100 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.