Zoom on the Lifan ES2200SC
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES2200SC is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES2200SC's design includes a gasoline-fueled 118 cc (4 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1800W and also a peak wattage of 2200W.
At a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as an office), the generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the ES2200SC can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.29 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Lifan ES2200SC is a compact generator that benefits from an encased design of the following dimensions: L20 x W18 x H15 in. Thus, it is more esthetical than conventional, open frame products. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
As the ES2200SC's weight is only 72 lbs, it can follow you and your power needs anywhere. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the ES2200SC features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES2200SC's packaging.
The Lifan ES2200SC is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES2200SC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES2200SC compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 72 lbs, the Lifan ES2200SC is one of the heavier generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 200949, standing at just 38.6 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 60 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- As the ES2200SC offers around 7 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides around 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.29 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.12 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Lifan ES2200SC is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- Decent run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (72 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||118 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 18 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES2200SC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1400 W||1400 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.