Zoom on the Lifan ES2200SC
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES2200SC is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES2200SC's core is the 118 cc (4 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2200W.
At a noise rating of 60 dBA (just as noisy as a normal conversation), the generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The ES2200SC can operate for around 7 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.29 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The Lifan ES2200SC is a compact generator that benefits from an encased design of the following dimensions: L20 x W18 x H15 in. Thus, it is more esthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 72 lbs of the ES2200SC's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, its nifty handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy displacement of the ES2200SC from place to place.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES2200SC's packaging.
The Lifan ES2200SC is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES2200SC versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES2200SC compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- With its weight of 72 lbs, the Lifan ES2200SC is one of the heavier generators in the 1500-2500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Champion 200949, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 60 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU2200i with only 48 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the ES2200SC, reaching around 7 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.29 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.12 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Lifan ES2200SC is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Quiet, but noisy for its type (60 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (72 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||118 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 18 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||60 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES2200SC is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1192 W||2192 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1400 W||1400 W|
|For work||Demolition hammer||1260||1260|
|Total||1340 W||1340 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.