Zoom on the Lifan ES1500
In summary, the Lifan ES1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES1500's engine, 97 cc (3 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1200W and reaches a peak wattage of 1500W.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1 gallon allows the ES1500 to operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
With its dimensions of L18 x W16 x H15 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Lifan ES1500 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 51 lbs, the ES1500 can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the ES1500 across any distance.
To help you monitor the ES1500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES1500's packaging.
The Lifan ES1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 51 lbs, the Lifan ES1500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the ECHO EGi-1200 with only 30 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 63 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The ES1500's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 6 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Cat INV1250, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Lifan ES1500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (51 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (63 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||97 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 16 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.