Zoom on the Lifan ES1500
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES1500's engine, 97 cc (3 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 1200W and reaches a peak wattage of 1500W.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the ES1500 may run for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
The dimensions of the Lifan ES1500, which are L18 x W16 x H15 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The ES1500's dry weight of 51 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the ES1500 features a nifty handle, improving your grip greatly.
The ES1500 and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES1500's packaging.
The Lifan ES1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- As its weight is 51 pounds, the Lifan ES1500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 1000-2000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Genmax GM1200i with only 25.3 pounds.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 63 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU2200i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 48 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 6 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the ES1500 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2200, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH, the Cat INV1250 is a device you could look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Lifan ES1500 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Decent weight (51 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (63 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||97 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 16 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.