Zoom on the Lifan ES1500
In summary, the Lifan ES1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES1500's core is the 97 cc (3 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1200W and a peak wattage of 1500W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the ES1500 can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Lifan ES1500 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18 x W16 x H15 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The ES1500's dry weight of 51 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, its nifty handle improves your grip, allowing for an easy transport of the ES1500 from place to place.
The ES1500 and its control panel include a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime. This feature comes handy when monitoring its status and activity.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES1500's packaging.
The Lifan ES1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 51 pounds, the Lifan ES1500 is one of the heavier generators producing between 500 and 1500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, standing at just 20.3 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 63 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU1000i. With just 42 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the ES1500, reaching around 6 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Pulsar PG2000, as it provides around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.17 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Ryobi RYi1000, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Lifan ES1500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (51 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||97 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 16 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.