Zoom on the Lifan ES1500
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES1500's build contains a gasoline-fueled 97 cc (3 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 1200W and also a peak wattage of 1500W.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The fuel capacity of 1 gallon allows the ES1500 to operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming AC outlet:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
The Lifan ES1500 has the following dimensions: L18 x W16 x H15 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 51 lbs of the ES1500's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. In addition, its nifty handle improves your grip, allowing for an easy displacement of the ES1500 from place to place.
The ES1500's control center features a convenient voltmeter, which provides an easy way to monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES1500's packaging.
The Lifan ES1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 51 pounds, the Lifan ES1500 is one of the heavier generators producing between 500 and 1500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i with only 20.3 pounds.
- This generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 63 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU1000i, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 42 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the ES1500, with an autonomy of around 6 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG2000, boasting with around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.17 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Ryobi RYi1000, with a fuel consumption of 0.08 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Lifan ES1500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Acceptable noise (63 dBA)
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (51 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||97 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peaks amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 16 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.