Zoom on the Lifan ES1500
In a nutshell, the Lifan ES1500 is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
Power & Run Time
The Lifan ES1500's core is the 97 cc (3 hp) Lifan OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1200W and a peak wattage of 1500W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1 gallon, the ES1500 can operate for around 6 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming AC outlet:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
The Lifan ES1500 has the following dimensions: L18 x W16 x H15 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The ES1500 can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 51 lbs. Additionally, a conveniently placed handle is a great enhancement to the grip, which tremendously helps when moving the ES1500 across any distance.
The ES1500's control center features a handy voltmeter that allows you to easily monitor power output anytime to aid you with the monitoring of its status and activity.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Lifan also included a tool kit in the ES1500's packaging.
The Lifan ES1500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
The Lifan ES1500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Lifan ES1500 compare to generators of similar power (between 1000 and 2000 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 51 lbs, the Lifan ES1500 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 1000 and 2000 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the ECHO EGi-1200 with only 30 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 63 dBA can be judged as noisy. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU2200i. With just 48 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The ES1500's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 6 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching around 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Cat INV1250, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 1000-2000W generators, the Lifan ES1500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Decent weight (51 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- Only 1 AC outlet
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (63 dBA)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||97 cc Lifan OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||1200 W|
|Starting watts||1500 W|
|Running amps||10 amps|
|Peak amps||12.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A receptacle|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18 x 16 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Accessories included||Tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
LIFAN, or rather LIFAN Power USA, is a rather small and new company, based in Arizona. LIFAN’s range is comprised of engines and related products, such as pressure washers, water pumps and of course, generators – of which there is a surprising variety, including inverters, portable generators, but also high output, standby home generators. The company admirably admits that their primary (and most likely only) manufacturing facilities are located in China and their goal is to provide affordable products above all.
The Lifan ES1500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Lifan generators, please consult Lifan's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-866-471-7464.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||462 W||1462 W|
|For camping||RV refrigerator||180||600|
|Total||930 W||1350 W|
|For work||Reciprocating saw||730||960|
|Total||810 W||1040 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.