Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0E
In summary, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is powered by a 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7200W as well as a peak wattage of 9000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PRO9.0E may run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The quite high THD (<6%) of the PRO9.0E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This KOHLER generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the PRO9.0E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 218 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many PRO9.0E's features is the data center (Maintenance Minder), included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO9.0E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- At a dry weight of 218 pounds, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 78.2 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- Since the PRO9.0E boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Generac XC6500, boasting with around 14 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.73 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (218 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5742 W||7242 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5755 W||6345 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
What is the exact THD on the 9.0e. How much over 6% THD does it have? (Asked February 12, 2021)
There is no such thing as an "exact" THD, since THD varies with load.
What is the approximate THD over 6% on the Pro 9.0e generator at 50% load. Can it run sensitive electronics? (Asked February 12, 2021)
Unusre why you used the word "over", since the maximum THD of the unit is 6%. We do not know the figure at 50% load.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.