Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0E
In summary, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is powered by a 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7200W as well as a peak wattage of 9000W.
At a noise rating of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a shower), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 8 gallons allows the PRO9.0E to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the PRO9.0E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this KOHLER generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the PRO9.0E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the KOHLER PRO9.0E, which are L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 218 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Monitoring of the PRO9.0E's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO9.0E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 218 pounds, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is one of the heavier generators producing between 6500 and 7500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of only 133 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 78.2 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- Offering around 11 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the PRO9.0E is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.73 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent run time
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (218 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5757 W||7257 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5730 W||6150 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
What is the exact THD on the 9.0e. How much over 6% THD does it have? (Asked February 12, 2021)
There is no such thing as an "exact" THD, since THD varies with load.
What is the approximate THD over 6% on the Pro 9.0e generator at 50% load. Can it run sensitive electronics? (Asked February 12, 2021)
Unusre why you used the word "over", since the maximum THD of the unit is 6%. We do not know the figure at 50% load.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.