Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0E
In summary, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is powered by a 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7200W as well as a peak wattage of 9000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PRO9.0E may run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The quite high THD (<6%) of the PRO9.0E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this KOHLER generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PRO9.0E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the KOHLER PRO9.0E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 218 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the PRO9.0E includes a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO9.0E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- A weight of 218 lbs makes the KOHLER PRO9.0E one of the heavier devices in the 6500-7500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78.2 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Powerhorse 7500i, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 55 dBA.
- Since the PRO9.0E boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Generac XC6500, boasting with around 14 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.73 GPH. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.38 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (218 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5757 W||7257 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||5730 W||6150 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
What is the exact THD on the 9.0e. How much over 6% THD does it have? (Asked February 12, 2021)
There is no such thing as an "exact" THD, since THD varies with load.
What is the approximate THD over 6% on the Pro 9.0e generator at 50% load. Can it run sensitive electronics? (Asked February 12, 2021)
Unsure why you used the word "over", since the maximum THD of the unit is 6%. We do not know the figure at 50% load.
how does auto idle work (Asked January 17, 2022)
When the auto idle switch is in ON position, it controls engine speed according to connected loads. Results are better fuel consumption and less noise. When the auto idle switch is in OFF position, the engine runs at rated rpm (3600 rpm) regardless of whether there is a load connected or not. The auto idle switch must be in OFF position when using electric devices that require a large starting current.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.