Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0E
In summary, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0E's core is the 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7200W and a peak wattage of 9000W.
At a noise rating of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 8 gallons allows the PRO9.0E to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
As the PRO9.0E has a relatively high THD (<6%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this KOHLER generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PRO9.0E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 218 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital data center (Maintenance Minder), one of the features of the PRO9.0E’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO9.0E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As its dry weight is 218 pounds, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 6500 to 7500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF7250, weighing just 140 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78.2 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 59 dBA.
- The PRO9.0E provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 11 hours at 50% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.73 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- High run time
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (218 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.