Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0E
In summary, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0E's engine, 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7200W and reaches a peak wattage of 9000W.
The generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The fuel capacity of 8 gallons allows the PRO9.0E to operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
As the PRO9.0E has a relatively high THD (<6%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
While this KOHLER generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the PRO9.0E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the KOHLER PRO9.0E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 218 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the PRO9.0E includes a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO9.0E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0E compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- With its weight of 218 lbs, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is one of the heavier generators in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF with only 133 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 78.2 dBA is on the noisier side. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- Since the PRO9.0E boasts with a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, with around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.73 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.38 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (218 lbs)
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5742 W||7242 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5755 W||6345 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
What is the exact THD on the 9.0e. How much over 6% THD does it have? (Asked February 12, 2021)
There is no such thing as an "exact" THD, since THD varies with load.
What is the approximate THD over 6% on the Pro 9.0e generator at 50% load. Can it run sensitive electronics? (Asked February 12, 2021)
Unusre why you used the word "over", since the maximum THD of the unit is 6%. We do not know the figure at 50% load.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.