Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0
In a nutshell, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0's core is the 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 7200W and a peak wattage of 9000W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a dishwasher).
The PRO9.0 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons. Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The PRO9.0 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
While this KOHLER generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PRO9.0 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the KOHLER PRO9.0, which are L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 202 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
A digital data center (Maintenance Minder), one of the features of the PRO9.0’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the KOHLER PRO9.0's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 202 lbs, the KOHLER PRO9.0 belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 6500 and 7500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, standing at just 133 lbs.
- As this generator has its lowest possible noise of 78.2 dBA, it should be considered noisier compared to its peers of a comparable running wattage. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Powerhorse 7500i with only 55 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the PRO9.0 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.73 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.38 GPH, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- Decent weight (202 lbs)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5742 W||7242 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||5755 W||6345 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.