Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0
In a nutshell, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is powered by a 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 7200W as well as a peak wattage of 9000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a shower), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The PRO9.0 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons. Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The PRO9.0 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
While this KOHLER generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PRO9.0 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 has the following dimensions: L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 202 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the PRO9.0's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated data center (Maintenance Minder), which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is packaged with the standard documentation and a user manual, helping you start the device right away.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 202 lbs, the KOHLER PRO9.0 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 6500 to 7500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Lifan LF7250, weighing just 140 pounds.
- Among the generators of a comparable running wattage, this generator with a lowest noise of 78.2 dBA can be judged as noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI with only 59 dBA.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of 11 hours at 50% load, the PRO9.0 benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Pulsar PG7500B, boasting with 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.73 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Decent weight (202 lbs)
- On the expensive side
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the KOHLER PRO9.0?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.