Zoom on the KOHLER PRO9.0
In summary, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO9.0's engine, 429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 7200W and reaches a peak wattage of 9000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 78.2 dBA (less noisy than a vacuum cleaner), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the PRO9.0 can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.73 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons. Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the PRO9.0 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Even if this KOHLER generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as the PRO9.0 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 has the following dimensions: L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 202 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, with which you can conveniently displace it, once it's on the ground.
Monitoring of the PRO9.0's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if the oil level is too low.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the KOHLER PRO9.0's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO9.0 compare to generators of similar power (between 6500 and 7500 W).
- As its weight is 202 pounds, the KOHLER PRO9.0 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 6500-7500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF7250, with a dry weight of just 140 pounds.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 78.2 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, whose lowest noise levels reach just 59 dBA.
- The PRO9.0 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching around 11 hours at 50% load. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Generac XC6500, which is able to run for around 14 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.73 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.38 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 6500-7500W generators, the KOHLER PRO9.0 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- High run time
- Decent weight (202 lbs)
- On the expensive side
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (78.2 dBA)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||429 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||60/30 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||78.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO9.0 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.