Zoom on the KOHLER PRO6.4E
In summary, the KOHLER PRO6.4E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO6.4E's engine, 277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5200W and reaches a peak wattage of 6400W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 73.2 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PRO6.4E may run for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the PRO6.4E is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
While this KOHLER generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, because the PRO6.4E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
As the generator's weight is 198 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the PRO6.4E's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, a light indicator shows you if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO6.4E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO6.4E compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a dry weight of 198 pounds, the KOHLER PRO6.4E is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 4500 and 5500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, weighing just 107 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 73.2 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of around 15 hours at 50% load, the PRO6.4E has one of the highest run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the KOHLER PRO6.4E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (198 lbs)
- On the noisy side (73.2 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5200 W|
|Starting watts||6400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.3/21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||53.3/26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4150 W||5250 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4140 W||4730 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.