Zoom on the KOHLER PRO6.4E
In a nutshell, the KOHLER PRO6.4E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO6.4E's core is the 277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5200W and a peak wattage of 6400W.
The generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included) and also a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 73.2 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PRO6.4E can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
The PRO6.4E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<6%).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this KOHLER generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the PRO6.4E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The dimensions of the KOHLER PRO6.4E, which are L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 198 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the PRO6.4E's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, a light indicator allows you to instantly see if the oil level is too low.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the usual set of documentation and user manual to get you promptly started, KOHLER also included a battery charging cables in the PRO6.4E's packaging.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO6.4E compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 198 pounds, the KOHLER PRO6.4E is one of the heavier generators producing between 4500 and 5500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN 56500 with only 119 pounds.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this generator and its lowest emitted noise of 73.2 dBA is on the noisier side. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- As the PRO6.4E features an autonomy of around 15 hours at 50% load, it has a higher run time than an average generator of its power range.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse WGen5500, with a fuel consumption of 0.44 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the KOHLER PRO6.4E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Electric start
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- No spark arrestor
- On the heavy side (198 lbs)
- On the noisy side (73.2 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5200 W|
|Starting watts||6400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.3/21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||53.3/26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Battery charging cables|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO6.4E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.