Zoom on the KOHLER PRO6.4
In summary, the KOHLER PRO6.4 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO6.4's design includes a gasoline-fueled 277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5200W and also a peak wattage of 6400W.
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 73.2 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a vacuum cleaner).
With a full tank, the PRO6.4 can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 8 gallons. Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
Since the PRO6.4 has a somewhat high THD (<6%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This KOHLER generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the PRO6.4 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the KOHLER PRO6.4 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 174 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀10") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
To help you monitor the PRO6.4's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center (Maintenance Minder), giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, you will be informed by the featured light indicator.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the KOHLER PRO6.4 comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) needed to get you promptly started.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO6.4 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 174 lbs, the KOHLER PRO6.4 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 4500 to 5500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN6000 with only 119 pounds.
- This generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 73.2 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devise of a similar running wattage. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 15 hours at 50% load, the PRO6.4 benefits from one of the highest run times among generators of a similar output
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WGen5300DFv, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the KOHLER PRO6.4 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- High run time
- Decent weight (174 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (73.2 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5200 W|
|Starting watts||6400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.3/21.7 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||53.3/26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Total||4150 W||5650 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4140 W||4730 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3530 W||6230 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.