Zoom on the KOHLER PRO6.4
In summary, the KOHLER PRO6.4 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The KOHLER PRO6.4 is powered by a 277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5200W as well as a peak wattage of 6400W.
At a noise rating of 73.2 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 8 gallons, the PRO6.4 can operate for around 15 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.53 GPH). Refilling the fuel tank is facilitated by KOHLER’s Accu-Fill™ technology. It offers a 45% larger angled fuel inlet, which allows for an easier and safer pouring of gasoline as well as less spilling.
Since the PRO6.4 has a somewhat high THD (<6%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
This KOHLER generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the PRO6.4 holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 has the following dimensions: L29.4 x W21.4 x H22.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 174 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit (⌀10") and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
One of the many PRO6.4's features is the data center (Maintenance Minder), included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicator will display if its oil levels are insufficient.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Sentry™ technology).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the KOHLER PRO6.4's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the KOHLER PRO6.4 compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- At a weight of 174 pounds, the KOHLER PRO6.4 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN 56500, standing at just 119 lbs.
- If compared to generators capable of producing a similar running wattage, this generator with a lowest emitted noise of 73.2 dBA can be considered somewhat noisy. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Since the PRO6.4 boasts with a run time of around 15 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.53 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.44 GPH, the Westinghouse WGen5500 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the KOHLER PRO6.4 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- Decent weight (174 lbs)
- No electric start
- No spark arrestor
- On the noisy side (73.2 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Engine||277 cc KOHLER Command PRO® OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5200 W|
|Starting watts||6400 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.3/21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||53.3/26.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||15 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||8 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||29.4 x 21.4 x 22.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||73.2 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Kohler Co., founded in 1873 by John Michael Kohler, has been one of the leading US manufacturing companies for over a century, with its products ranging from furniture to power generators. Its American based Kohler Power division focuses on the latter, scaling from portable generators to industrial-scale devices. Its rich history and great reputation serve as a testament to the quality of their products. The company has in recent years outsourced some of its production overseas, to China, but US made generators can still be found among their product selection.
The KOHLER PRO6.4 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of KOHLER generators, please consult KOHLER's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-800-544-2444.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.