Zoom on the Honda EU7000iS
In a nutshell, the Honda EU7000iS is a quiet portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Honda EU7000iS is powered by a 389 cc Honda GX390 EFI OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 5500W as well as a peak wattage of 7000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Enjoying a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included), but also to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 5.1 gallons, the EU7000iS can operate for up to 18 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH).
The EU7000iS produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even though this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the EU7000iS holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
Since the Honda EU7000iS is an inverter generator, its closed design (L33.4 x W27.6 x H28.4 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 261 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Monitoring of the EU7000iS's status and activity is made possible by an illuminated iMonitor™ data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, power output and voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EU7000iS's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Honda EU7000iS is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Honda EU7000iS versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EU7000iS compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- As its dry weight is 261 pounds, the Honda EU7000iS is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 5000 to 6000 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Champion 100519 with only 121 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 52 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power.
- Since the EU7000iS boasts with a run time of 18 hours at 25% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen5500, with 20 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Honda EU7000iS is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- High run time
- Fuel efficient
- On the expensive side
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (261 lbs)
Where to buy the Honda EU7000iS?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||389 cc Honda GX390 EFI OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Electric, Recoil|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||7000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||58.3/29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||18 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Voltage, lifetime run hours and power output|
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||5.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||33.4 x 27.6 x 28.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EU7000iS is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.