Zoom on the Honda EU3000i Handi
In a nutshell, the Honda EU3000i Handi is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EU3000i Handi's core is the 163 cc Honda GX160 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2600W and a peak wattage of 3000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Honda parallel cables (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a conversation at home). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the EU3000i Handi can operate for up to 7.7 hours (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon.
As the EU3000i Handi produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even if this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
As the Honda EU3000i Handi is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W14.9 x H19.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
The EU3000i Handi's dry weight of 78 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its wheel kit and its folding handle will allow you to effortlessly shift it once it's on the ground.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EU3000i Handi's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Honda EU3000i Handi is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Honda EU3000i Handi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EU3000i Handi compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EU3000i Handi has only 78 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN400i, standing at just 66.1 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the EU3000i Handi, with an autonomy of up to 7.7 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EU3000iS, as it provides up to 20 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.21 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Honda EU3000i Handi is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (78 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||163 cc Honda GX160 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7.7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 14.9 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EU3000iH1A|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EU3000i Handi is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2070 W||2660 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
What is the difference between the EU3000i Handi and the EU3000iH1A?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.