Get this unit while stocks last, because Honda discontinued its production.
Zoom on the Honda EU3000i Handi
In a nutshell, the Honda EU3000i Handi is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The Honda EU3000i Handi's core is the 163 cc Honda GX160 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2600W and a peak wattage of 3000W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (Honda parallel cables (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
At a noise rating of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a refrigerator), the inverter generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the EU3000i Handi may run for up to 7.7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EU3000i Handi produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even if this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
As the Honda EU3000i Handi is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W14.9 x H19.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 78 lbs, the EU3000i Handi can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, once it’s on the ground, its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle will allow you to shift it without effort.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Honda EU3000i Handi's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Honda EU3000i Handi is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Honda EU3000i Handi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EU3000i Handi compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EU3000i Handi has only 78 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Genmax GM3300i, weighing just 47.4 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 52 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the EU3000i Handi, with an autonomy of up to 7.7 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.21 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3500P is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (78 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||163 cc Honda GX160 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peak amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7.7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 14.9 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EU3000iH1A|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EU3000i Handi is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2070 W||2660 W|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
What is the difference between the EU3000i Handi and the EU3000iH1A?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
will this generator power a 15000 RV ac unit? (Asked March 04, 2021)
The approximate wattage required for starting a 15K BTU RV air conditioner is 3500 watts and the approximate wattage for running it is 1500. If your AC unit matches these wattages, the 3000i Handi will not be able to start it. You should determine the actual running and starting wattages of your appliance.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.