Get this unit while stock lasts, because Honda discontinued its production.
Zoom on the Honda EU3000i Handi
In a nutshell, the Honda EU3000i Handi is a quiet and compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EU3000i Handi's engine, 163 cc Honda GX160 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2600W and reaches a peak wattage of 3000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Honda parallel cables (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 52 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a quiet suburb).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 1.6 gallon, the EU3000i Handi can operate for up to 7.7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH).
The EU3000i Handi produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
While this Honda generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Honda EU3000i Handi is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24.5 x W14.9 x H19.3 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The EU3000i Handi can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 78 lbs. Additionally, it can be easily moved with the help of its set of 2 wheels and its folding handle, once it is on the ground.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Honda EU3000i Handi's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
The Honda EU3000i Handi is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Honda EU3000i Handi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EU3000i Handi compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Honda EU3000i Handi only weighs in at 78 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Generac GP3300i with only 59.5 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 52 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the EU3000i Handi, with an autonomy of up to 7.7 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200954, with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.21 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Energizer eZV3200P, with a fuel consumption of 0.13 GPH could be in your good books.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Honda EU3000i Handi is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight for its kind (78 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (52 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||163 cc Honda GX160 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7.7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||1.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24.5 x 14.9 x 19.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||52 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EU3000iH1A|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EU3000i Handi is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2070 W||2660 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1730 W||2830 W|
What is the difference between the EU3000i Handi and the EU3000iH1A?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
will this generator power a 15000 RV ac unit? (Asked March 04, 2021)
The approximate wattage required for starting a 15K BTU RV air conditioner is 3500 watts and the approximate wattage for running it is 1500. If your AC unit matches these wattages, the 3000i Handi will not be able to start it. You should determine the actual running and starting wattages of your appliance.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.