Zoom on the Honda EU2200i Companion
In summary, the Honda EU2200i Companion is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
Power & Run Time
The Honda EU2200i Companion's core is the 121 cc Honda GXR120 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 1800W and a peak wattage of 2200W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Honda parallel cables not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 48 dBA (less noisy than bird calls).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 0.95 gallon, the EU2200i Companion can operate for up to 8.4 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.11 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EU2200i Companion produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
This Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L20 x W11.4 x H16.7 in), the Honda EU2200i Companion, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Since the EU2200i Companion weighs only 46.5 lbs, it can be labeled as a portable lightweight generator. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. In addition, a handle (molded in the case) lets you carry it easily and further increases its convenience.
The light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Honda EU2200i Companion is packaged with the standard documentation and a user manual, helping you start the device right away.
The Honda EU2200i Companion is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EU2200i Companion versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EU2200i Companion compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EU2200i Companion has only 46.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of just 38.6 pounds.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 48 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power.
- As for its autonomy, the EU2200i Companion, with an autonomy of 8.4 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. At an estimated fuel consumption 0.11 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV2000P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.08 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Honda EU2200i Companion is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (46.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (48 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Honda EU2200i Companion?
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||121 cc Honda GXR120 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4 h|
|Run time @25% load||8.4 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||0.95 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 11.4 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||48 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EU2200i Companion is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.