Zoom on the Honda EU1000i
In summary, the Honda EU1000i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EU1000i houses a 49.4 cc Honda GXH50 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 900W along with a peak wattage of 1000W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (Honda parallel cables not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
With a noise rating of 42 dBA (just slightly more noisy than bird calls), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The EU1000i can operate for up to 7.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.08 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.6 gallon.
The EU1000i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel includes the following 2 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which charging your batteries is made easy.
Since the Honda EU1000i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L17.7 x W9.4 x H15 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
The EU1000i is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 28.7 lbs. A single person should not have any problems moving it around and thus, enjoy power availability on-the-go. This convenience is further enhanced thanks to a handle (molded in the case) that allows you to carry it with ease.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Honda EU1000i is packaged with the standard documentation and a user manual, helping you start the device right away.
The Honda EU1000i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EU1000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EU1000i compare to generators of similar power (between 500 and 1500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Honda EU1000i only weighs in at 28.7 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 500-1500 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN1000i, with a dry weight of just 20.3 pounds.
- As its lowest possible noise is rated at 42 dBA, this inverter generator qualifies as one of the more quiet of the products of similar power.
- The EU1000i’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 7.1 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Yamaha EF1000iS, reaching up to 11.9 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.08 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.06 GPH, the Yamaha EF1000iS is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 500-1500W generators, the Honda EU1000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (28.7 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (42 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||49.4 cc Honda GXH50 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||900 W|
|Starting watts||1000 W|
|Running amps||7.5 amps|
|Peaks amps||8.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||6 h|
|Run time @25% load||7.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 15A (5-15R)|
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||17.7 x 9.4 x 15 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||42 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EU1000i is covered under a warranty for up to 2 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.