Price alert for: northerntool.com
Zoom on the Honda EM6500SX
In a nutshell, the Honda EM6500SX is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Honda EM6500SX's design includes a gasoline-fueled 389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5500W and also a peak wattage of 6500W.
With a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the EM6500SX may also be remotely started (separate purchase).
The EM6500SX can operate for around 10.4 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A receptacle with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
Even though this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, as the EM6500SX holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Honda EM6500SX, which are L41.1 x W27.8 x H28.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 234 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EM6500SX's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly.
CO Minder (new model)
Note: The CO Minder is a new feature introduced in 2020 that is not yet present in all EM6500SX units. Make sure to select the "With CO Minder" tab above our retailers list if you wish to benefit from this feature.
Honda's CO Minder is a system that monitors the ambient carbon monoxide concentration, and automatically stops the engine if the sensor detects a CO level of or exceeding 800 parts per million (ppm) at a given time, or an average of 400 ppm for 10 minutes.
A CO alarm indicator will flash for about five minutes, during which it will be impossible to restart the engine.
While it’s a welcomed additional security feature, remember to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Honda My Generator App (new model)
The Honda My Generator App (available on iOS and Android) makes owning the EM6500SX (new version, with CO-Minder) even more flexible and convenient, whether you are depending on it at home during a power outage, or enjoying an adventure at a remote campsite.
The app connects your unit and your phone via Bluetooth, across a 75-foot line of sight, giving you valuable information about your generator's operation and many additional features in the palm of your hands.
With it, you can easily monitor a range of information such as output power, lifetime run hours, oil life, or estimated remaining runtime. You’ll also receive warnings and notifications to remind you of routine maintenance.
Even better, the app allows you to control multiple, compatible Honda generators from a single mobile device, and to remotely start and stop the EM6500SX without a key fob.
The Honda EM6500SX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Honda EM6500SX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EM6500SX compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a dry weight of 234 pounds, the Honda EM6500SX is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse WGen5300v, weighing just 107 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 64 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU7000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with around 10.4 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the EM6500SX is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Cat RP5500, which is able to run for around 15 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5300v, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Honda EM6500SX is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- CO Minder (according to model)
- Mobile app (according to model)
- Quiet for its power (64 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- On the heavy side (234 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||iAVR|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||41.1 x 27.8 x 28.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EM6500SXK2AT1, EM6500SX21, EM6500X2AG|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EM6500SX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4397 W||5872 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4390 W||4980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||3780 W||6480 W|
What is the difference between the EM6500S, the EM6500SX, the EM6500SXK2AT1, the EM6500SX21 and the EM6500X2AG?
The final "G" in "EM6500X2AG" indicates that the unit includes the CO Minder technology. Regarding the rest of the model names, as a rule of thumb, they refer to the unit itself, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.