Zoom on the Honda EM5000S
In a nutshell, the Honda EM5000S is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EM5000S's core is the 389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 4500W and a peak wattage of 5000W.
The generator is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). The EM5000S can also be remotely started, offering further convenience. (separate purchase).
The EM5000S can operate for around 11.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.55 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons.
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
While this Honda generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the EM5000S bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
With its dimensions of L41.1 x W27.8 x H28.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Honda EM5000S offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 232 lbs. Never less, thanks to a wheel kit and a folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EM5000S's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Honda EM5000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EM5000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EM5000S compare to generators of similar power (between 4000 and 5000 W).
- With its weight of 232 lbs, the Honda EM5000S is one of the heavier generators in the 4000-5000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PG5250, standing at just 99.5 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 63 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Yamaha EF4500iSE, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 58 dBA.
- The EM5000S, offering a run time of 11.2 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Dewalt DXGN4500, with 15 hours .
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.55 GPH. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG5250B. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.33 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 4000-5000W generators, the Honda EM5000S is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Decent run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- On the heavy side (232 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Honda EM5000S?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||4500 W|
|Starting watts||5000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||37.5/18.8 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||41.1 x 27.8 x 28.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EM5000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.