This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
If you were looking to purchase it, you may want to have a look at the Honda EG4000CL, which has similar specs.
You can also try to find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Honda EM4000SX
In summary, the Honda EM4000SX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Honda EM4000SX's engine, 270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W (and even up to 5000 W thanks to the iAVR technology).
The generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). The EM4000SX can also be remotely started, offering further convenience (separate purchase).
The fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons allows the EM4000SX to operate for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel features the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which charging your batteries is made easy.
This Honda generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The Honda EM4000SX has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L41.1 x W27.8 x H28.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 204 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EM4000SX's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which will help you start your generator promptly. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
Honda’s iAVR (opens in a new tab) (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulation) reduces voltage fluctuation by up to 50% over current AVR systems.
In conventional generators, when a load is applied, the engine’s rpm drops, which causes the voltage and frequency to drop as well, until the rpm recovers.
iAVR is a combination of the DAVR (opens in a new tab) technology and the iGX (opens in a new tab) engine technology, which serves to provide advanced and instantaneous engine rpm control when a load is applied.
As a result, voltage and frequency are precisely regulated and the EM4000SX is able to produce a starting wattage above the maximum rating, for up to 10 seconds. Therefore, thanks to iAVR, the EM4000SX is able to “overclock” itself above its 4000 starting watts and provide up to 5000 W.
The Honda EM4000SX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Honda EM4000SX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EM4000SX compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- With its weight of 204 lbs, the Honda EM4000SX is one of the heavier generators in the 3000-4000 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- As the EM4000SX features an autonomy of around 16 hours at 50% load, it has one of the highest run times in comparison to the other generators of its power range.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.39 GPH at a 50% load. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen4200, with a fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- iAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- No data center
- On the heavy side (204 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||16 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||iAVR|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||41.1 x 27.8 x 28.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Battery and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||EM4000SXAT1|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EM4000SX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2517 W||3992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What is the difference between the EM4000S, the EM4000SX and the EM4000SXAT1?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.