Zoom on the Honda EM4000S
In a nutshell, the Honda EM4000S is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EM4000S's engine, 270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 3500W and reaches a peak wattage of 4000W.
At a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the EM4000S can also be remotely started (separate purchase).
With a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, the EM4000S may run for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output with which you may charge your batteries with ease.
This Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Honda EM4000S has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L41.1 x W27.8 x H28.3 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 204 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Honda EM4000S is packaged with the standard documentation and a user manual, helping you start the device right away.
The Honda EM4000S is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Honda EM4000S versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EM4000S compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- At a dry weight of 204 pounds, the Honda EM4000S is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 3000 and 4000 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3500iO, with a dry weight of only 74.3 lbs.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Westinghouse iGen4500, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- With a run time of 16 hours at 50% load, the EM4000S has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.39 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3000-4000W generators, the Honda EM4000S is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Remote start capable
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- On the heavy side (204 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Honda EM4000S?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||16 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 20A (L14-20R)
|DC outlets||1x 12V 8A output|
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||41.1 x 27.8 x 28.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EM4000S is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.