This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
If you were looking to purchase it, you may want to have a look at the Honda EG4000CL, which has similar specs.
You can also try to find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Honda EM4000SX
In summary, the Honda EM4000SX is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EM4000SX houses a 270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3,500W along with a peak wattage of 4,000W (and even up to 5,000 W thanks to the iAVR technology).
Enjoying a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the EM4000SX may also be remotely started (separate purchase).
The EM4000SX can operate for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 1 DC outlet: there's a 12V 8A output allowing you to easily charge your batteries.
Even if this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The dimensions of the Honda EM4000SX, which are L41.1 x W27.8 x H28.3 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 204 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Honda EM4000SX also comes with the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), allowing you to start it right away. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
Honda’s iAVR (opens in a new tab) (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulation) reduces voltage fluctuation by up to 50% over current AVR systems.
In conventional generators, when a load is applied, the engine’s rpm drops, which causes the voltage and frequency to drop as well, until the rpm recovers.
iAVR is a combination of the DAVR (opens in a new tab) technology and the iGX (opens in a new tab) engine technology, which serves to provide advanced and instantaneous engine rpm control when a load is applied.
As a result, voltage and frequency are precisely regulated and the EM4000SX is able to produce a starting wattage above the maximum rating, for up to 10 seconds. Therefore, thanks to iAVR, the EM4000SX is able to “overclock” itself above its 4000 starting watts and provide up to 5000 W.
The Honda EM4000SX is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EM4000SX versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EM4000SX compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its dry weight is 204 pounds, the Honda EM4000SX is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 3000 to 4000 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, with a dry weight of just 46 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, this generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Westinghouse iGen4500DF, whose lowest noise levels reach just 52 dBA.
- Since the EM4000SX boasts with a run time of around 16 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as one of the devices with the highest run time among those of a comparable output.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.39 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.22 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start capable
- iAVR technology pushes starting watts up to 5,000
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- No data center
- On the heavy side (204 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke
|Recoil, Electric, Remote
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 12V
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|1x 12V 8A output
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|41.1 x 27.8 x 28.3 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Battery and wheel kit
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EM4000SX is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)
What is the difference between the EM4000S, the EM4000SX and the EM4000SXAT1?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.