Zoom on the Honda EG2800i
In summary, the Honda EG2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The Honda EG2800i's engine, 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2500W and reaches a peak wattage of 2800W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons, the EG2800i can operate for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The EG2800i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
While this Honda generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Honda EG2800i has the following dimensions: L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The EG2800i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 66.6 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
When the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Honda EG2800i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Honda EG2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Honda EG2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EG2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As for its weight, the Honda EG2800i weighs only 66.6 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Westinghouse iGen2600, standing at just 48 lbs.
- The inverter generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 62 dBA. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- Given that the EG2800i reaches an autonomy of up to 12.1 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2600 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EG2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Lightweight (66.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EG2800iXA|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EG2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1792 W||2792 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1990 W||2580 W|
|Total||1650 W||2750 W|
What is the difference between the EG2800i and the EG2800iXA?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.