Zoom on the Honda EG2800i
In a nutshell, the Honda EG2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EG2800i's core is the 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2500W and a peak wattage of 2800W.
At a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons, the EG2800i can operate for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EG2800i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
This Honda generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The Honda EG2800i has the following dimensions: L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 66.6 lbs, the EG2800i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the inverter generator.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Honda EG2800i comes with the usual documentation and user manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Honda EG2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Honda EG2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EG2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EG2800i has only 66.6 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2000 to 3000 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Westinghouse iGen2600, with a dry weight of only 48 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 62 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Offering up to 12.1 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the EG2800i is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours .
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2600. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EG2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Lightweight (66.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EG2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.