Price alert for: ebay.com
Zoom on the Honda EG2800i
In a nutshell, the Honda EG2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EG2800i is powered by a 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2500W as well as a peak wattage of 2800W.
At a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The EG2800i can operate for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons.
The EG2800i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Even if this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Honda EG2800i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The EG2800i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 66.6 lbs. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is overloaded, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Honda EG2800i is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away.
CO Minder (new model)
Note: The CO Minder is a new feature introduced in 2020 that is not yet present in all EG2800i units. Make sure to select the "With CO Minder" tab above our retailers list if you wish to benefit from this feature.
Honda's CO Minder is a system that monitors the ambient carbon monoxide concentration, and automatically stops the engine if the sensor detects a CO level of or exceeding 800 parts per million (ppm) at a given time, or an average of 400 ppm for 10 minutes.
A CO alarm indicator will flash for about five minutes, during which it will be impossible to restart the engine.
While it’s a welcomed additional security feature, remember to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
The Honda EG2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Honda EG2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EG2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Honda EG2800i weighs just 66.6 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 2000 to 3000 rated wattage generators. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Westinghouse iGen2600, standing at just 48 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 62 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- As the EG2800i offers up to 12.1 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen2600, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.1 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EG2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO Minder (according to model)
- Lightweight (66.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Other model numbers||EG2800iXA, EG2800iAG|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EG2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||1792 W||2792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1650 W||2750 W|
What is the difference between the EG2800i, the EG2800iXA and the EG2800iAG?
The final "G" in "EG2800iAG" indicates that the unit includes the CO Minder technology. Regarding the rest of the model names, as a rule of thumb, they refer to the unit itself, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.