Zoom on the Honda EG2800i
In summary, the Honda EG2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
Power & Run Time
The Honda EG2800i's build contains a gasoline-fueled 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2500W and also a peak wattage of 2800W.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons, the EG2800i may run for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
The EG2800i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
This Honda generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The dimensions of the Honda EG2800i, which are L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
The 66.6 lbs of the EG2800i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
The light indicators show you if the generator is overloaded, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the inverter generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®).
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Honda EG2800i's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, letting you start it right off the bat.
The Honda EG2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Honda EG2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EG2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As for its weight, the Honda EG2800i weighs only 66.6 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Westinghouse iGen2500, with a dry weight of just 48 pounds.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 62 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Offering 12.1 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the EG2800i is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with 26 hours .
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EG2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Lightweight (66.6 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Where to buy the Honda EG2800i?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.7 h|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EG2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.