Zoom on the Honda EB6500
In summary, the Honda EB6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB6500's build contains a gasoline-fueled 389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 5500W and also a peak wattage of 6500W (and even up to 7000 W thanks to the iAVR technology).
The generator is rated for a noise of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). Its starting mechanism is based on a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The EB6500 can operate for around 10.4 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons.
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
This Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the EB6500 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The design of the Honda EB6500 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L41.9 x W27.2 x H29.2 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 220 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A lift hook located on the top of the frame offers an additional safety feature while facilitating the transport, loading and unloading of the generator.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), giving you a peace of mind during use.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Honda EB6500 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
Honda’s iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulation) reduces voltage fluctuation by up to 50% over current AVR systems.
In conventional generators, when a load is applied, the engine’s rpm drops, which causes the voltage and frequency to drop as well, until the rpm recovers.
As a result, voltage and frequency are precisely regulated and the EB6500 is able to produce a starting wattage above the maximum rating, for up to 10 seconds. Therefore, thanks to iAVR, the $model is able to “overclock” itself above its 6500 starting watts and provide up to 7000 W.
The Honda EB6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Honda EB6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- A weight of 220 lbs makes the Honda EB6500 one of the heavier devices in the 5000-6000 rated wattage range. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Champion 100519, weighing just 121 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 64 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- The EB6500’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 10.4 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Cat RP5500, boasting with around 15 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse WGen5500. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.44 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Honda EB6500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- iAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (64 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (220 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||41.9 x 27.2 x 29.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.