Zoom on the Honda EB6500
In summary, the Honda EB6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB6500's core is the 389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5500W and a peak wattage of 6500W (and even up to 7000 W thanks to the iAVR technology).
Enjoying a noise rating of 64 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music), this generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, the EB6500 may run for around 10.4 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.6 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle. Besides, as it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EB6500 is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The Honda EB6500 has the following dimensions: L41.9 x W27.2 x H29.2 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 220 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A lift hook, which is on the top of the frame, serves as an extra safety feature for the transport, unloading and loading of the device.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Honda EB6500 comes with the usual documentation and user manual needed to get you promptly started.
Honda’s iAVR (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulation) reduces voltage fluctuation by up to 50% over current AVR systems.
In conventional generators, when a load is applied, the engine’s rpm drops, which causes the voltage and frequency to drop as well, until the rpm recovers.
As a result, voltage and frequency are precisely regulated and the EB6500 is able to produce a starting wattage above the maximum rating, for up to 10 seconds. Therefore, thanks to iAVR, the $model is able to “overclock” itself above its 6500 starting watts and provide up to 7000 W.
The Honda EB6500 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Honda EB6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 5000 and 6000 W).
- At a dry weight of 220 pounds, the Honda EB6500 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 5000 and 6000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Champion 100519, standing at just 121 lbs.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 64 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- As for its autonomy, the EB6500, with an autonomy of 10.4 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Cat RP5500, reaching 15 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.6 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse WGen5500, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.44 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 5000-6000W generators, the Honda EB6500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- iAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (64 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (220 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Honda EB6500?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Honda iGX390 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||5500 W|
|Starting watts||6500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.4 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||41.9 x 27.2 x 29.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||64 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.