This product was discontinued. For your convenience, we decided to leave this page up.
You might still find it second hand on eBay, by clicking on the button below.
Zoom on the Honda EB4000X
In summary, the Honda EB4000X is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB4000X houses a 270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3500W along with a peak wattage of 4000W (and even up to 5000 W thanks to the iAVR technology).
Enjoying a noise rating of 61 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 6.2 gallons, the EB4000X may run for around 16 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.39 GPH).
The control panel features the following 6 AC outlets:
Even if this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Honda EB4000X has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L41.9 x W27.2 x H29.2 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Since the generator weighs 185 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The generator comes with an additional safety feature, a lift hook on the top of its frame, which is helpful during its transport, loading and unloading.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Accessory-wise, along with the previously mentioned features, the Honda EB4000X is packaged with the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helping you start the device right away. An official storage cover is available, as a separate purchase.
Honda’s iAVR (opens in a new tab) (Intelligent Automatic Voltage Regulation) reduces voltage fluctuation by up to 50% over current AVR systems.
In conventional generators, when a load is applied, the engine’s rpm drops, which causes the voltage and frequency to drop as well, until the rpm recovers.
iAVR is a combination of the DAVR (opens in a new tab) technology and the iGX (opens in a new tab) engine technology, which serves to provide advanced and instantaneous engine rpm control when a load is applied.
As a result, voltage and frequency are precisely regulated and the EB4000X is able to produce a starting wattage above the maximum rating, for up to 10 seconds. Therefore, thanks to iAVR, the EB4000X is able to “overclock” itself above its 4000 starting watts and provide up to 5000 W.
The Honda EB4000X is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Honda EB4000X versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB4000X compare to generators of similar power (between 3000 and 4000 W).
- As its dry weight is 185 pounds, the Honda EB4000X is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 3000 to 4000 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM3300i, standing at just 47.4 lbs.
- Since this generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 61 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Cat INV4000E, whose lowest noise levels reach just 51 dBA.
- The EB4000X provides one of the highest run time among similarly powerful devices, reaching around 16 hours at 50% load.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.39 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- GFCI Outlets
- iAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (61 dBA)
- High run time
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (185 lbs)
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||270 cc Honda iGX270 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3500 W|
|Starting watts||4000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||29.2/14.6 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||33.3/16.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||16 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||iAVR|
|AC outlets|| |
|Fuel tank||6.2 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||41.9 x 27.2 x 29.2 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||61 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||EB4000XAT1|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB4000X is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2517 W||3992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2760 W||3350 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What is the difference between the EB4000, the EB4000X and the EB4000XAT1?
These model numbers refer to the same unit, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.