Zoom on the Honda EB3000c
In a nutshell, the Honda EB3000c is a compact and lightweight portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB3000c's build contains a gasoline-fueled 196 cc Honda GX200 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2600W and also a peak wattage of 3000W.
With a noise rating of 65 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the EB3000c can operate for around 9.39 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.28 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
The full GFCI control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
This Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The dimensions of the Honda EB3000c, which are L17.5 x W15.8 x H18.9 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
With a dry weight of 71 lbs, the EB3000c can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
Thanks to Honda's patented CycloConverter technology, the unit is lightweight and maintains stable power. It uses a CPU that conditions the raw power produced by the generator and eliminates the need for a bulky alternator. As this CPU reduces the number of parts in the generator, it results in a lighter weight and a smaller unit.
Several light indicators serve to show you when its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is ready.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Honda EB3000c's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual, letting you start it right off the bat.
The Honda EB3000c is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Honda EB3000c versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB3000c compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EB3000c has only 71 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The generator can be considered average in its noise for its power category, as it is rated at 65 dBA. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9.39 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the EB3000c falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Honda EB4000, as it provides around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. With an estimated gasoline consumption of 0.28 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this generator is among the more fuel efficient of the products in the above-mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Honda EB3000c is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight (71 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Acceptable noise (65 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||196 cc Honda GX200 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2600 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||21.7 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.39 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R) GFCI
|Indicators||Low oil and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||17.5 x 15.8 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||65 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB3000c is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.