Price alert for: homedepot.com
Zoom on the Honda EB2800i
In a nutshell, the Honda EB2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB2800i is powered by a 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2500W as well as a peak wattage of 2800W.
The inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation).
The EB2800i can operate for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EB2800i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The full GFCI control panel features the following 4 AC outlets:
The Honda EB2800i has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 66.8 lbs of the EB2800i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
When its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®).
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Honda EB2800i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
CO Minder (new model)
Note: The CO Minder is a new feature introduced in 2020 that is not yet present in all EB2800i units. Make sure to select the "With CO Minder" tab above our retailers list if you wish to benefit from this feature.
Honda's CO Minder is a system that monitors the ambient carbon monoxide concentration, and automatically stops the engine if the sensor detects a CO level of or exceeding 800 parts per million (ppm) at a given time, or an average of 400 ppm for 10 minutes.
A CO alarm indicator will flash for about five minutes, during which it will be impossible to restart the engine.
While it’s a welcomed additional security feature, remember to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
The Honda EB2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Honda EB2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Honda EB2800i stands at only 66.8 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 2000-3000 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Westinghouse iGen2600, with a dry weight of only 48 lbs.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 62 dBA. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- Offering up to 12.1 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the EB2800i is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. Standing at an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2600, with a fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EB2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Full GFCI panel
- CO Minder (according to model)
- Lightweight (66.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
- No parallel ports
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R)|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Other model numbers||EB2800iXA, EB2800iAG|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||1792 W||2792 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Total||1650 W||2750 W|
What is the difference between the EB2800i, the EB2800iXA and the EB2800iAG?
The final "G" in "EB2800iAG" indicates that the unit includes the CO Minder technology. Regarding the rest of the model names, as a rule of thumb, they refer to the unit itself, but simply include more or less information regarding its specs, production batch, etc. Read how Honda name their generators.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.