Zoom on the Honda EB2800i
In a nutshell, the Honda EB2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB2800i's build contains a gasoline-fueled 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 2500W and also a peak wattage of 2800W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the EB2800i can operate for up to 12.1 hours (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the EB2800i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The full GFCI control panel features the upcoming 4 AC outlets:
The dimensions of the Honda EB2800i, which are L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The EB2800i's dry weight of 66.8 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, grabbing and moving this product is made even easier by its open frame design.
When the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the features previously mentioned, accessory-wise, the Honda EB2800i comes with the usual documentation and owner's manual needed to get you promptly started.
The Honda EB2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EB2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EB2800i has only 66.8 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 2000 to 3000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Westinghouse iGen2600, with a dry weight of just 48 pounds.
- Since the inverter generator's noise is rated at 62 dBA, it has the roughly average expected noise for a device of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU3000iS with only 50 dBA.
- As the EB2800i offers up to 12.1 hours run time on a full tank at a 25% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, with up to 26 hours .
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen2600. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.1 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EB2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight (66.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.