Zoom on the Honda EB2800i
In summary, the Honda EB2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB2800i's core is the 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2500W and a peak wattage of 2800W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than background music). Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons, the EB2800i may run for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the EB2800i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The full GFCI control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
The Honda EB2800i has the following dimensions: L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
The EB2800i can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 66.8 lbs. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EB2800i's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Honda EB2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Honda EB2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Honda EB2800i only weighs in at 66.8 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 2000-3000 rated wattage range. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Westinghouse iGen2500, with a dry weight of just 48 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 62 dBA. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU3000iS. With just 50 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Offering 12.1 hours of running time on a full tank at 25% load, the EB2800i is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching 26 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.1 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen2500 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EB2800i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight (66.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Where to buy the Honda EB2800i?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.