Zoom on the Honda EB2800i
In summary, the Honda EB2800i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB2800i is powered by a 186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 2500W as well as a peak wattage of 2800W.
At a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 2.1 gallons, the EB2800i can operate for up to 12.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.17 GPH).
As the EB2800i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The full GFCI control panel includes the following 4 AC outlets:
With its dimensions of L16.9 x W17.6 x H18.9 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Honda EB2800i offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The 66.8 lbs of the EB2800i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EB2800i's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Honda EB2800i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EB2800i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB2800i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As for its weight, the Honda EB2800i weighs only 66.8 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2000-3000 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse iGen2600, weighing just 48 pounds.
- This inverter generator has a somewhat average expected noise for its power range, rated at 62 dBA. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Given that the EB2800i reaches an autonomy of up to 12.1 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, which is able to run for up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.17 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Westinghouse iGen2600, with a fuel consumption of 0.1 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Honda EB2800i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight (66.8 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No data center
- No electric start
Features and Specifications
|Engine||186 cc Honda GC190LA 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||2800 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peaks amps||23.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||12.1 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|Indicators||Low oil, output ready and overload|
|Fuel tank||2.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||16.9 x 17.6 x 18.9 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB2800i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.