Zoom on the Honda EB2200i
In a nutshell, the Honda EB2200i is a quiet, compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB2200i houses a 121 cc Honda GXR120 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 1800W along with a peak wattage of 2200W.
At a noise rating of 48 dBA (less noisy than a library), the inverter generator offers the possibility to start the device via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The EB2200i can operate for up to 8.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.12 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 0.95 gallon.
The EB2200i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The full GFCI control panel provides the upcoming 2 AC outlets:
The Honda EB2200i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L20 x W11.4 x H16.7 in. Thus, it is more esthetical than conventional, open frame products. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The EB2200i is a lightweight, portable generator, as it only weighs 46.5 lbs. As it can be moved by a single person without much effort, the generator and its power can be enjoyed on-the-go. It can also be carried without effort with a featured handle (molded in the case), further improving its convenience.
Some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Honda EB2200i also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
The Honda EB2200i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Honda EB2200i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB2200i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Honda EB2200i has only 46.5 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN 56202i, weighing just 38.6 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 48 dBA, this inverter generator places itself as one of the quietest of the products delivering similar power.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing 8.1 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 25% load, the EB2200i falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, boasting with 26 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.12 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV2000P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Honda EB2200i is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Full GFCI panel
- Lightweight (46.5 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (48 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- On the expensive side
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Honda EB2200i?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||121 cc Honda GXR120 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||1800 W|
|Starting watts||2200 W|
|Running amps||15 amps|
|Peaks amps||18.3 amps|
|Run time @50% load||N/A|
|Run time @25% load||8.1 h|
|GFCI outlets||Full panel|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||0.95 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||20 x 11.4 x 16.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||48 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB2200i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.