Zoom on the Honda EB10000
In a nutshell, the Honda EB10000 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners and people participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB10000's core is the 630 cc Honda GX630 OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 9000W and a peak wattage of 10000W.
The generator features a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 71 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower).
The EB10000 can operate for around 7.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8.1 gallons.
The control panel includes the following 7 AC outlets:
This Honda generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, since the EB10000 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Honda EB10000 has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L55.9 x W26.7 x H35.1 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 403 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A lift hook, which is on the top of the frame, serves as an extra safety feature for the transport, unloading and loading of the device.
Monitoring of the EB10000's status and activity is made possible by a digital iMonitor™ data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours, power output and voltage and is one of the features of its control panel.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EB10000's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
Honda’s DAVR technology (Digital Automatic Voltage Regulation) holds the voltage stability within a ±1% change during operation and thus, offers a more stable voltage than conventional generators. This results in better performance, and better protection of your tools.
The DAVR has a built-in, self-diagnosis function to prevent engine speed from exceeding 4,140 rpm for longer than three seconds and abnormal voltage. Additionally, a built-in temperature protection system protects the generator from overheating.
The Honda EB10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Honda EB10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 403 pounds, the Honda EB10000 is one of the heavier generators producing between 8500 and 9500 running watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Rainier R12000DF, with a dry weight of only 196 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 71 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 7.2 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the EB10000 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WPro8500, with around 12 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 1.13 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Rainier R12000DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Honda EB10000 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- DAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (71 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (403 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||630 cc Honda GX630 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (SS2-50R)
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours and voltage|
|Fuel tank||8.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||55.9 x 26.7 x 35.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||71 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.