Zoom on the Honda EB10000
In summary, the Honda EB10000 is a powerful portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB10000's build contains a gasoline-fueled 630 cc Honda GX630 OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 9000W and also a peak wattage of 10000W.
Enjoying a noise rating of 71 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a dishwasher), this generator gets running thanks to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
The fuel capacity of 8.1 gallons allows the EB10000 to operate for around 7.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.13 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 7 AC outlets:
Even though this Honda generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. Besides, since the EB10000 bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Honda EB10000 has the following dimensions: L55.9 x W26.7 x H35.1 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 403 pounds. However, its challenging mobility is solved by a wheel kit and a folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The generator comes with an additional safety feature, a lift hook on the top of its frame, which is helpful during its transport, loading and unloading.
An illuminated iMonitor™ data center, one of the features of the EB10000’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, voltage and power output, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®) and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Honda EB10000's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
Honda’s DAVR technology (Digital Automatic Voltage Regulation) holds the voltage stability within a ±1% change during operation and thus, offers a more stable voltage than conventional generators. This results in better performance, and better protection of your tools.
The DAVR has a built-in, self-diagnosis function to prevent engine speed from exceeding 4,140 rpm for longer than three seconds and abnormal voltage. Additionally, a built-in temperature protection system protects the generator from overheating.
The Honda EB10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Honda EB10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- At a dry weight of 403 pounds, the Honda EB10000 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 8500 and 9500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Rainier R12000DF, standing at just 196 lbs.
- At a lowest noise rating of 71 dBA, this generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the A-iPower SUA12000ED, whose lowest noise levels reach just 69 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with 7.2 hours on a full tank at a 50% load, the EB10000 is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WPro8500, with 12 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Compared to its peers, this generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 1.13 GPH at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Rainier R12000DF. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Honda EB10000 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- DAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (71 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (403 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Where to buy the Honda EB10000?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||630 cc Honda GX630 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (SS2-50R)
|Data center||Voltage, lifetime run hours and power output|
|Fuel tank||8.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||55.9 x 26.7 x 35.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||71 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.