Zoom on the Honda EB10000
In a nutshell, the Honda EB10000 is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners and people participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Honda EB10000 is powered by a 630 cc Honda GX630 OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 9000W as well as a peak wattage of 10000W.
With a noise rating of 71 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a shower), the generator features a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The EB10000 can operate for around 7.2 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 1.13 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 8.1 gallons.
The control panel features the following 7 AC outlets:
This Honda generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready. Besides, due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the EB10000 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The design of the Honda EB10000 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L55.9 x W26.7 x H35.1 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 403 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, a wheel kit and a folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Further safety during transport, loading and unloading of the device is provided by a lift hook, which is placed on the top of the generator's frame.
A digital iMonitor™ data center, one of the features of the EB10000’s control panel, gives you information on the power output, lifetime run hours and voltage, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off (Oil Alert®).
As for its accessories, apart from the previously mentioned features, the Honda EB10000 also comes with the basic documentation and a user manual, allowing you to start it right away.
Honda’s DAVR technology (Digital Automatic Voltage Regulation) holds the voltage stability within a ±1% change during operation and thus, offers a more stable voltage than conventional generators. This results in better performance, and better protection of your tools.
The DAVR has a built-in, self-diagnosis function to prevent engine speed from exceeding 4,140 rpm for longer than three seconds and abnormal voltage. Additionally, a built-in temperature protection system protects the generator from overheating.
The Honda EB10000 is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Honda EB10000 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Honda EB10000 compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- At a dry weight of 403 pounds, the Honda EB10000 is one of the heavier devices which can produce between 8500 and 9500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Rainier R12000DF with only 196 pounds.
- With a lowest noise rating of 71 dBA, the generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the A-iPower SUA12000ED. With just 69 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the EB10000, reaching around 7.2 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse WPro8500, with around 12 hours .
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 1.13 GPH at a 50% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Rainier R12000DF is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Honda EB10000 is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- Electric start
- DAVR technology
- Quiet for its power (71 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- No recoil back-up
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (403 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Engine||630 cc Honda GX630 OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||9000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||7.2 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) GFCI |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
1x 120/240V 30A (L14-30R)
1x 120/240V 50A (SS2-50R)
|Data center||Voltage, lifetime run hours and power output|
|Fuel tank||8.1 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||55.9 x 26.7 x 35.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||71 dBA|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Founded in 1948, the Japanese Honda Motor Company has gained notoriety for consistently producing top quality engines, motor-powered vehicles and devices. Over the years, the company has gained a strong reputation in the motorcycle, automobile, but also power tool industry. Honda’s power tool division has been producing power tools since 1953, including tillers, mowers, blowers, sprayers and of course, power generators. While the company has expanded globally and moved a majority of its production out of Japan into other Asian countries, Honda is to this day known as a legend among the generator manufacturers.
The Honda EB10000 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Honda generators, please consult Honda's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-770-497-6400.
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.