Zoom on the Genmax GM9000iED
In summary, the Genmax GM9000iED is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Genmax GM9000iED allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7600W and a starting wattage of 9000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7200 rated watts and 8550 starting watts. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (GM9000PK (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
With a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), the inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the GM9000iED can also be remotely started (key fob included).
The running time of the GM9000iED, with its 6.9 gallons fuel capacity, can reach up to 14.5 hours on a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.48 GPH). With propane, it can reach up to 7 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH).
The GM9000iED generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 6 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Since the GM9000iED bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
Since the Genmax GM9000iED is an inverter generator, its closed design (L30.9 x W22.6 x H29.3 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
As the generator's weight is 243.6 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its set of 2 wheels (⌀7") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
One of the many GM9000iED's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the voltage, frequency, lifetime run hours and power output and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the inverter generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Genmax GM9000iED also comes with several accessories, including: propane hose, funnel, tool kit and key fob.
The Genmax GM9000iED is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM9000iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM9000iED compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As its dry weight is 243.6 pounds, the Genmax GM9000iED is one of the heavier of the products which can generate 7500 to 8500 running watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- Since this inverter generator is rated for a lowest possible noise of 62 dBA, it can be considered as one of the more quiet of the products generating similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Champion 100719. With just 61 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- The GM9000iED's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 14.5 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the DuroMax XP9000iH, reaching up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator is not fuel efficient compared to devices of similar output: its estimated fuel consumption stands at 0.48 GPH at a 25% load. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the DuroMax XP9000iH, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.35 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Genmax GM9000iED is on the expensive side of the price range.
While certainly not the cheapest of its kind, purchasing it would most likely also mean enjoying the reliability of a high-end product.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- On the expensive side
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (243.6 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||458 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||7600 W||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W||8550 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||63.3/31.7 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h||7 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.9 x 22.6 x 29.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM9000iED is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6075 W||7575 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6060 W||6650 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Trying to understand whether I am going to have an issue running home backup when I don't know whether I need bonded or floating ground. I have read that either will work as long as the house plug (15-50) is not GFCI protected. Can you confirm the 14-50 plug is not GFCI protected? Any other relevant info would be helpful. (Asked July 12, 2022)
Only the 5-20R receptacles are GFCI protected.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.