Zoom on the Genmax GM9000iED
In summary, the Genmax GM9000iED is a powerful portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The dual-fuel technology of the Genmax GM9000iED allows for an output of 120/240V and provides superb power and versatility. If gasoline-powered, the device provides a running wattage of 7600W and a starting wattage of 9000W. If propane-powered, it gives 7200 rated watts and 8550 starting watts. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office), this inverter generator can be started thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also to a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). For additional convenience, the GM9000iED may also be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons, the GM9000iED can operate for up to 14.5 hours using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.48 GPH), or for up to 7 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.67 GPH) using propane.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GM9000iED generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 6 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
As the GM9000iED holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
The Genmax GM9000iED's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L30.9 x W22.6 x H29.3 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
Since the generator weighs 243.6 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its set of 2 wheels (⌀7") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
The control panel of the GM9000iED includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the power output, frequency, voltage and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is overloaded.
The inverter generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Genmax GM9000iED also is packed along with the following accessories: key fob, propane hose, funnel and tool kit.
The Genmax GM9000iED is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Genmax GM9000iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM9000iED compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 243.6 pounds, the Genmax GM9000iED is one of the heavier generators producing between 7500 and 8500 running watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000 with only 183 pounds.
- With a lowest possible noise of 62 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the most quiet of the products delivering similar power.
- As for its autonomy, the GM9000iED, with an autonomy of up to 14.5 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 9500, with up to 18.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.48 GPH. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Predator 9500, with a fuel consumption of 0.37 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Dual Fuel
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the heavy side (243.6 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||458 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||7600 W||7200 W|
|Starting watts||9000 W||8550 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||63.3/31.7 amps||60/30 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||75/37.5 amps||71.3/35.6 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10 h||5 h *|
|Run time @25% load||14.5 h||7 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30.9 x 22.6 x 29.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
The Genmax GM9000iED is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6075 W||7575 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||6060 W||6650 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Concrete vibrator (1 hp)||1080||1080|
|Total||4480 W||8980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.