ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 83
Zoom on the Genmax GM6000iED
In summary, the Genmax GM6000iED is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Genmax GM6000iED provides an output of 120/240V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 5,250W along with a peak wattage of 6,000W. While propane-powered, it provides 4,750 rated watts and 5,500 starting watts.
With a noise rating of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), the inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). To add further convenience, the GM6000iED can be remotely started (key fob included).
With a fuel capacity of 3.8 gallons, the GM6000iED can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load using gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH), or for around 7.9 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH) using propane.
The GM6000iED produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Because the GM6000iED is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
As the Genmax GM6000iED is an inverter generator, its encased design (L24 x W18.5 x H21.1 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 117.9 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
One of the many GM6000iED's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the fuel level, power output, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, when the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Genmax GM6000iED also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit, key fob and propane hose are included.
The Genmax GM6000iED is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM6000iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM6000iED compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As for its weight, the Genmax GM6000iED weighs only 117.9 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the WEN GN5600, standing at just 103.6 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 63 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GM6000iED, reaching around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 6500, with around 14.5 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator is one of the more fuel efficient models of the aforementioned output range, as its estimated fuel consumption reaches just 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the WEN GN5602X. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.35 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Genmax GM6000iED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Dual Fuel
- Lightweight for its kind (117.9 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||312 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5,250 W||4,750 W|
|Starting watts||6,000 W||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||7.9 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 18.5 x 21.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM6000iED is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Pair of small speakers||45||45|
|Total||4195 W||5695 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||4190 W||4780 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Can this be changed to a floating neutral? It needs to be to meet code for home backup connected to a transfer switch. (Asked June 18, 2022)
This should be possible. We recommend reading our article on neutral conversion.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
I’ve done quite a few generator reviews and I am a certified professional mechanic. This generator had several quality control issues right out of the box. There were also several design flaws including very bad engine vibrations at idle, poor wire routings, a load pannel that wasn’t accurate, side pannels that had stripped out hardware. Parts and customer service is non existent. Literally. I honestly would stay far away from this line of generators.