Zoom on the Genmax GM6000iED
In summary, the Genmax GM6000iED is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
Thanks to its dual-fuel technology, the Genmax GM6000iED delivers 120/240V and offers power and versatility. When gasoline-powered, it benefits from a running wattage of 5,250W and a peak wattage of 6,000W. When propane-powered, it has 4,750 rated watts and 5,500 peak watts.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 63 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation). To add further convenience, the GM6000iED can be remotely started (key fob included).
The GM6000iED, with a fuel capacity of 3.8 gallons, reaches a run time of around 8.5 hours at 50% load utilizing gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.45 GPH). Alternatively, it can reach a run time of around 7.9 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.59 GPH) with propane.
As the GM6000iED produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Because the GM6000iED is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L24 x W18.5 x H21.1 in), the Genmax GM6000iED, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 117.9 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the GM6000iED's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours, voltage, power output, fuel level and frequency.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Genmax GM6000iED's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, key fob, propane hose and funnel.
The Genmax GM6000iED is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM6000iED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM6000iED compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Genmax GM6000iED weighs just 117.9 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 4500 to 5500 rated wattage generators. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN5600, weighing just 103.6 pounds.
- At a lowest noise rating of 63 dBA, this inverter generator is one of the quieter devices of similar power. If noise emissions are important to you, one of the least noisy generators of this power range is the Honda EU7000iS with only 52 dBA.
- As for its autonomy, the GM6000iED, with an autonomy of around 8.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Predator 6500, with around 14.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.45 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, is one of the more fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the WEN GN5600, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.35 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Genmax GM6000iED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Remote start
- Lightweight for its kind (117.9 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (63 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||312 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5,250 W||4,750 W|
|Starting watts||6,000 W||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||43.8/21.9 amps||39.6/19.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||50/25 amps||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h||7.9 h *|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.8 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 18.5 x 21.1 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||63 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM6000iED is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||4187 W||5662 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||4180 W||4600 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||3280 W||5980 W|
Can this be changed to a floating neutral? It needs to be to meet code for home backup connected to a transfer switch. (Asked June 18, 2022)
This should be possible. We recommend reading our article on neutral conversion.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.