Zoom on the Genmax GM5500i
In summary, the Genmax GM5500i is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
Power & Run Time
The Genmax GM5500i's core is the 312 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 5000W and a peak wattage of 5500W.
At a noise rating of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than a normal conversation), this inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
The GM5500i can operate for up to 13 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
The GM5500i generates a clean sine wave: providing <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Because the GM5500i is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L21.1 x W18.5 x H24 in), the Genmax GM5500i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
Since the generator weighs 116.6 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the GM5500i's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the power output, lifetime run hours, fuel level, voltage and frequency and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, when the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Genmax GM5500i also is packed along with the following accessories: tool kit and funnel.
The Genmax GM5500i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Genmax GM5500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM5500i compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Genmax GM5500i only weighs in at 116.6 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 4500-5500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Genmax GM6000XiE, standing at just 106.9 lbs.
- With a lowest possible noise of 62 dBA, this inverter generator places itself amongst the more quiet of the products delivering similar power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU7000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 52 dBA.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 13 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the GM5500i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Westinghouse WGen5500, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator, with an estimated fuel consumption of just 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, is one of the most fuel efficient generators, for the previously mentioned wattage range.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W generators, the Genmax GM5500i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (116.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- Fuel efficient
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||312 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5000 W|
|Starting watts||5500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||13 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.1 x 18.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
The Genmax GM5500i is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.