-No User ReviewsWrite a review
ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 43
Zoom on the Genmax GM5500i
In a nutshell, the Genmax GM5500i is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Genmax GM5500i's engine, 312 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 5,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 5,500W.
The inverter generator is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a full tank, the GM5500i can operate for up to 13 hours (fuel consumption around 0.27 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.5 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GM5500i generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GM5500i is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
Since the Genmax GM5500i is an inverter generator, its closed design (L21.1 x W18.5 x H24 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 116.6 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its set of 2 wheels (⌀5.5") and its telecospic handle, once it is placed on the ground.
One of the many GM5500i's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours, frequency, fuel level, power output and voltage and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is overloaded, the generator is ready and the oil level is too low.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Genmax GM5500i also comes with some accessories: tool kit and funnel are included.
The Genmax GM5500i is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM5500i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM5500i compare to generators of similar power (between 4500 and 5500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Genmax GM5500i stands at only 116.6 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 4500-5500 rated wattage category Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN5600, with a dry weight of only 103.6 lbs.
- With a lowest noise rating of 62 dBA, the inverter generator is one of the more quiet of the generators of similar power. For those who are looking for a less noisy device, we suggest the Honda EU7000iS. With just 52 dBA, it is one of the most quiet devices in this power range.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 13 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the GM5500i is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the DuroMax XP5500EH, as it provides up to 19 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.27 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP5500EH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.21 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 4500-5500W inverter generators, the Genmax GM5500i is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (116.6 lbs)
- Quiet for its power (62 dBA)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- No parallel ports
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||312 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||5,000 W|
|Starting watts||5,500 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||41.7/20.8 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||45.8/22.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||13 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||21.1 x 18.5 x 24 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM5500i is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||3992 W||5492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||3990 W||4580 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2780 W||5480 W|
Where can I pick up a replacement air filter? (Asked November 13, 2022)
Replacement parts can be ordered from GenMax: 1-866-960-2920.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.