Zoom on the Genmax GM3500Xi
In summary, the Genmax GM3500Xi is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Genmax GM3500Xi houses a 145 cc (5.2 hp) Dinking OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3200W along with a peak wattage of 3500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than background music), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The GM3500Xi can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.24 gallons.
As the GM3500Xi produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
While this Genmax generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Genmax GM3500Xi has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L18.9 x W13.6 x H17.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 57.3 lbs, the GM3500Xi can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. In addition, it is even easier to grab and move the generator around thanks to its open frame design.
A digital data center, one of the features of the GM3500Xi's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is on overload.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Genmax GM3500Xi, the following accessories are also included: funnel and tool kit.
The Genmax GM3500Xi is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM3500Xi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM3500Xi compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the Genmax GM3500Xi weighs only 57.3 pounds, making it one of the lighter inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Genmax GM3300i, with a dry weight of only 47.4 lbs.
- This inverter generator, with its lowest possible noise rated at 66 dBA falls into the more noisy category, compared to other devices of a similar running wattage. If you are concerned with noise, check out the Honda EU3000iS, which is one of the least noisy generators in its power range, with a noise rating of just 50 dBA.
- Offering around 8.5 hours of running time on a full tank at 50% load, the GM3500Xi is within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful inverter generators. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Ryobi RYi4022X, reaching around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Genmax GM3300i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Genmax GM3500Xi is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (57.3 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||145 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3200 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.24 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.9 x 13.6 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM3500Xi is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2492 W||3492 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.