Zoom on the Genmax GM3500Xi
In a nutshell, the Genmax GM3500Xi is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Genmax GM3500Xi's design includes a gasoline-fueled 145 cc (5.2 hp) Dinking OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,200W and also a peak wattage of 3,500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit not included), its power may be increased if linked to a second compatible unit.
Enjoying a noise rating of 66 dBA (less noisy than background music), this inverter generator gets running thanks to a conventional pull-start mechanism.
The GM3500Xi can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.26 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.24 gallons.
As the GM3500Xi produces a clean sine wave, with a <5% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), sensitive electronics may be plugged in the AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
In addition, it provides 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even though this Genmax generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Genmax GM3500Xi has the following dimensions: L18.9 x W13.6 x H17.7 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The GM3500Xi's dry weight of 57.3 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
Monitoring of the GM3500Xi's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, the generator is overloaded and its oil levels are insufficient.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Genmax GM3500Xi, the following accessories are also included: tool kit and funnel.
The Genmax GM3500Xi is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM3500Xi versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM3500Xi compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Weight-wise, the Genmax GM3500Xi has only 57.3 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter inverter generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- When compared to devices able to produce a similar running wattage, this inverter generator and its lowest emitted noise of 66 dBA is on the noisier side. If you’d prefer a less noisy device, one of the most quiet devices, which share the same power range with this one, is the Honda EU3000iS, whose lowest noise levels reach just 50 dBA.
- As the GM3500Xi offers around 8.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the inverter generators of a similar power. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Ryobi RYi4022X, reaching around 12 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. At an estimated fuel consumption of 0.26 GPH (gallon per hour) at 50% load, this inverter generator is a rather fuel efficient one within its wattage category. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.22 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Genmax GM3500Xi is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (57.3 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- Decent run time
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- On the noisy side (66 dBA)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||145 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,200 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 2.24 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||18.9 x 13.6 x 17.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||66 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM3500Xi is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2492 W||3492 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.