Zoom on the Genmax GM3500iAED
In a nutshell, the Genmax GM3500iAED is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
With its dual-fuel technology, the powerful and versatile Genmax GM3500iAED provides an output of 120V. While gasoline-powered, it gives a running wattage of 3,200W along with a peak wattage of 3,500W. While propane-powered, it provides 2,800 rated watts and 3,100 starting watts. In addition, as it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be increased when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
The inverter generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It is rated for a noise of 62 dBA (just slightly more noisy than an office). Moreover, to offer you even more convenience, the GM3500iAED can also be remotely started (key fob included).
Regarding its running time, the GM3500iAED, with a 1.7 gallon fuel capacity can operate for up to 8 hours with a full tank of gasoline (fuel consumption around 0.21 GPH). When using propane, it can run for up to 16 hours (estimation based on a 20 lbs tank - propane consumption around 0.29 GPH).
The GM3500iAED generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel includes the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports (USB-A) allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
While this Genmax generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor (included).
The Genmax GM3500iAED's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L20.9 x W12.2 x H19.7 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The GM3500iAED's dry weight of 56.2 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, with its set of 2 wheels (⌀4") and its telecospic handle, it may be shifted with ease, once placed on the floor.
To help you monitor the GM3500iAED's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the frequency, fuel level, voltage, power output and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, when the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
It also benefits from Genmax's CO DETECT technology, which is designed to monitor the level of carbon monoxide present during the generator's operation. If the generator is positioned incorrectly and carbon monoxide levels rise to an unsafe level, the generator will automatically shut down.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Genmax GM3500iAED also comes with several accessories, including: tool kit, RV adapter, key fob, funnel and propane hose.
The Genmax GM3500iAED is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
In addition, the unit meets the ANSI/PGMA G300-2018 safety and performance requirements.
The Genmax GM3500iAED versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Genmax GM3500iAED compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Genmax GM3500iAED only weighs in at 56.2 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter inverter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, standing at just 46 lbs.
- As this inverter generator can emit noise as low as 62 dBA, it finds itself in the average expected noise for this kind of power. If noise emissions are one of your priorities, you may be interested in the Honda EU3000iS, one of the least noisy generators similarly powerful as this one, rated for 50 dBA.
- The GM3500iAED's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its type and power range, as it reaches only up to 8 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200914, with up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.21 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W dual fuel inverter generators, the Genmax GM3500iAED is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Dual Fuel
- CO DETECT technology
- Several accessories included
- RV adapter included
- Remote start
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (56.2 lbs)
- Acceptable noise (62 dBA)
- Not CARB-compliant
- 1-year warranty
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Fuel||Dual Fuel (gasoline/propane)|
|Engine||145 cc Dinking OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric, Remote|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,200 W||2,800 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W||3,100 W|
|Running amps||26.7 amps||23.3 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps||25.8 amps|
|Run time @50% load||Unknown||Unknown|
|Run time @25% load||8 h||16 h *|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port (USB-A)|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours, voltage and frequency|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||Plastic, 1.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||20.9 x 12.2 x 19.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||62 dBA|
|Compliance||EPA, ANSI/PGMA G300-2018|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Funnel, tool kit, key fob, propane hose, RV adapter, and battery|
|Country of origin||China|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
* Propane runtime is our own estimation, based on a 20 lbs tank and NIST 1994 GGE (Gasoline Gallon Equivalent) formula: 5.66 lbs of propane = 1 gal of gasoline.
GENMAX is a new portable generator brand registered by the Chongqing Dinking Power Machinery Co. LTD., which itself was founded in 2010 and is currently located in Chongqing, China. Dinking specializes in the general motor industry and manufactures portable generators, power sources, water pumps, garden machinery and construction machinery for foreign markets. Among most notable achievements are Dinking’s exclusive contract with Hyundai and 5th place in the ranking of Chinese foreign trade exporters in general motor industry (2016). GENMAX brand portfolio includes a sizeable selection of gas-powered generators covering all common wattage categories.
The Genmax GM3500iAED is covered under a warranty for up to 1 year. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Genmax generators, please contact the Genmax Customer Support: 1-866-960-2920.
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2492 W||3492 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2545 W||3135 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.