Zoom on the Generac GP9200E
In a nutshell, the Generac GP9200E is a powerful portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Homeowners who wish to power almost all appliances in their house under any circumstances
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP9200E is powered by a 459 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 9,200W as well as a peak wattage of 11,250W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the GP9200E can operate for around 8.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.93 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Since the GP9200E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Generac GP9200E has the following dimensions: L27.2 x W27 x H26.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
As the generator's weight is 213 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
One of the many GP9200E's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
The GP9200E also benefits from Generac’s COsense® carbon monoxide monitoring. This technology senses and manages CO output and shuts down the unit when necessary, to protect you from CO poisoning.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Generac GP9200E also comes with some accessories: funnel, extension cord and oil are included.
The Generac GP9200E is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP9200E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP9200E compare to generators of similar power (between 8500 and 9500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Generac GP9200E stands at only 213 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 8500-9500 rated wattage category If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Westinghouse iGen11000DFc, weighing just 187.4 pounds.
- The GP9200E's autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only around 8.5 hours at 50% load on a full tank. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Westinghouse iGen11000DFc, with around 12 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank's capacity and thus, doesn't say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. In fact, this generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 50% load is around 0.93 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Westinghouse iGen11000DFc, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.66 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 8500-9500W generators, the Generac GP9200E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- COsense® technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (213 lbs)
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|459 cc OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120/240V 60 Hz
|Running amps (@120/240V)
|Peak amps (@120/240V)
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|Lifetime run hours
|Steel, 7.9 gal
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|27.2 x 27 x 26.5 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection, CO monitoring
|Bonded to frame
|Oil, funnel, extension cord, battery, and wheel kit
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac GP9200E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Sump pump (1/2 hp)
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs
|Microwave (1000 watts)
|Air compressor (1 hp)
What is the noise rating of the GP9200E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Is there an LP conversion kit for GP9200E with the 459cc engine (Asked March 27, 2023)
There are no official conversion kits. You may find third-party ones, but we cannot recommend them. Modifying the unit fuel system would void your warranty, and would be an emission violation. You may want to check our full list of dual fuel generators, which are designed to run on both gasoline and propane.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.