Zoom on the Generac RS8000E
In summary, the Generac RS8000E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac RS8000E's engine, 420 cc OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 8,000W and reaches a peak wattage of 10,000W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons allows the RS8000E to operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RS8000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Generac RS8000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L30 x W27.1 x H25.7 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 213.8 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital data center, one of the features of the RS8000E's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac RS8000E's package also includes these accessories: oil, battery charger and extension cord.
The Generac RS8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac RS8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac RS8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 213.8 lbs, the Generac RS8000E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Westinghouse ecoGen10000, with a dry weight of just 147.7 pounds.
- The RS8000E, falls within the average autonomy range compared to generators of a roughly same power, with a run time of around 10.5 hours at a 50% load and a full tank. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.55 GPH, the Pulsar PG10000B16 is a device you could look out for.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8,000 W|
|Starting watts||10,000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 27.1 x 25.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, extension cord, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac RS8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6372 W||7872 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What is the noise rating of the RS8000E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can I power a flat screen TV from an rs 8000e (Asked August 12, 2020)
This unit is not suitable for powering sensitive electronics.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.