Zoom on the Generac RS8000E
In a nutshell, the Generac RS8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac RS8000E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8000W and also a peak wattage of 10000W.
Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the RS8000E can operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As the RS8000E holds a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: you'll easily be able to connect it to your breaker box to power your home during a power outage.
With its dimensions of L30 x W27.1 x H25.7 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Generac RS8000E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Since the generator weighs 213.8 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
A digital data center, one of the features of the RS8000E’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
As for its security measures, the device features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, letting you use it with a peace of mind.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac RS8000E also comes with several accessories, including: extension cord, oil and battery charger.
The Generac RS8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac RS8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac RS8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- At a weight of 213.8 pounds, the Generac RS8000E places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 7500-8500 rated wattage range. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL with only 185 pounds.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, the RS8000E benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Firman H08053, reaching around 12 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 27.1 x 25.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, extension cord, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac RS8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can I power a flat screen TV from an rs 8000e (Asked August 12, 2020)
This unit is not suitable for powering sensitive electronics.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.