Zoom on the Generac RS8000E
In summary, the Generac RS8000E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac RS8000E is powered by a 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8000W as well as a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons allows the RS8000E to operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Since the RS8000E bears a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it is easily connectible to a breaker box and can power your home in case of a power outage.
The Generac RS8000E has the following dimensions: L30 x W27.1 x H25.7 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 213.8 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the RS8000E includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac RS8000E also comes with several accessories, including: extension cord, oil and battery charger.
The Generac RS8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac RS8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac RS8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 213.8 lbs, the Generac RS8000E belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 7500 to 8500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- The RS8000E, offering a run time of around 10.5 hours with a full tank at a 50% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 100416, with around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG10000B16, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No 50-amp output
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 27.1 x 25.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, extension cord, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac RS8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What is the noise rating of the RS8000E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can I power a flat screen TV from an rs 8000e (Asked August 12, 2020)
This unit is not suitable for powering sensitive electronics.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.