Zoom on the Generac RS8000E
In a nutshell, the Generac RS8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
Power & Run Time
The Generac RS8000E's core is the 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 8000W and a peak wattage of 10000W.
Its starting mechanisms include a conventional pull-start mechanism and a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a full tank, the RS8000E can operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
As it features a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RS8000E is transfer switch ready: in case of a power outage, you will be easily able to connect it to a breaker box and power your household.
The design of the Generac RS8000E is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L30 x W27.1 x H25.7 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 213.8 pounds. Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the RS8000E includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Generac RS8000E, the following accessories are also included: oil, extension cord and battery charger.
The Generac RS8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac RS8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac RS8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- Since the generator weighs in at a dry weight of 213.8 lbs, the Generac RS8000E belongs in the expected weight range for devices which can produce between 7500 and 8500 rated watts. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, standing at just 185 lbs.
- Since the RS8000E boasts with a run time of around 10.5 hours at 50% load, it can be safely judged as a device of a higher run time than most generators of a comparable output. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Firman H08053, with around 12 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- High run time
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 27.1 x 25.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, extension cord and battery|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac RS8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Can I power a flat screen TV from an rs 8000e (Asked August 12, 2020)
This unit is not suitable for powering sensitive electronics.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.