Zoom on the Generac RS8000E
In a nutshell, the Generac RS8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who do not wish to see their business interrupted under any circumstances
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Professionals who want to be able to deliver results, even during a power failure
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac RS8000E's core is the 420 cc OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120/240V, it provides a running wattage of 8000W and a peak wattage of 10000W.
Its starting mechanisms include a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons, the RS8000E can operate for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.71 GPH).
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the RS8000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The dimensions of the Generac RS8000E, which are L30 x W27.1 x H25.7 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 213.8 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
The control panel of the RS8000E includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac RS8000E also comes with several accessories, including: battery charger, extension cord and oil.
The Generac RS8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Generac RS8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac RS8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As its weight is 213.8 pounds, the Generac RS8000E falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 7500-8500 rated wattage category. In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- As the RS8000E offers around 10.5 hours run time on a full tank at a 50% load, it falls within the average autonomy range among the generators of a similar power. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.71 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse WPro8500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.55 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Decent weight (213.8 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||7.5 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||30 x 27.1 x 25.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery charger, extension cord, battery, and wheel kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac RS8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Sump pump (1/2 hp)||1050||2150|
|Furnace fan (1/2 hp)||875||2350|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6387 W||7862 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||6395 W||6985 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What is the noise rating of the RS8000E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can I power a flat screen TV from an rs 8000e (Asked August 12, 2020)
This unit is not suitable for powering sensitive electronics.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.