Zoom on the Generac GP8000E
In summary, the Generac GP8000E is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food van owners who know that just a short power outage could lose them hundreds of dollars
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP8000E houses a 420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120/240V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 8000W along with a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the GP8000E can operate for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
Since the GP8000E has a somewhat high THD (<20%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GP8000E is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Generac GP8000E has a conventional, open frame design, of the following dimensions: L27.2 x W27 x H26.5 in, which offers support and allows it to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 198 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the GP8000E's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included some oil in the GP8000E's packaging.
The Generac GP8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Generac GP8000E stands at only 198 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter devices of the 7500-8500 rated wattage category In terms of weight, one of the champions in their power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, standing at just 183 lbs.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the GP8000E benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 100416, reaching around 12.5 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.72 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Pulsar PG10000B16, with a fuel consumption of 0.55 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Generac GP8000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (198 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 27 x 26.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||7686|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP8000E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
What grade fuel for 8000 watt generator (Asked November 11, 2021)
Gasoline should be clean, fresh, and unleaded with a minimum octane rating of 87.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.