Zoom on the Generac GP8000E
In a nutshell, the Generac GP8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP8000E is powered by a 420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120/240V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 8000W as well as a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the GP8000E may run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The quite high THD (<20%) of the GP8000E makes it unsuitable for powering sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Because the GP8000E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
With its dimensions of L27.2 x W27 x H26.5 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Generac GP8000E offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 198 lbs. However, its challenging mobility is solved by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, which will ease its displacement, once it is on the floor.
A digital data center, one of the features of the GP8000E's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
The generator allows for a quick, easy and convenient assessment of its gas level, as it is equipped with a built-in fuel gauge.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off.
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included some oil in the GP8000E's packaging.
The Generac GP8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As for its weight, the Generac GP8000E weighs only 198 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 7500-8500 rated wattage category. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Dewalt DXGNR8000, with a dry weight of just 183 pounds.
- With a run time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the GP8000E has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Champion 100416, as it provides around 12.5 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.72 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Pulsar PG10000B16. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.55 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Generac GP8000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (198 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peak amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 27 x 26.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil, battery, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||7686|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP8000E?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.