Zoom on the Generac GP8000E
In a nutshell, the Generac GP8000E is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Professionals in need of safely powering high-intensity work or lighting equipment
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP8000E's design includes a gasoline-fueled 420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120/240V output, it gives a running wattage of 8000W and also a peak wattage of 10000W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism and also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included).
With a fuel capacity of 7.9 gallons, the GP8000E may run for around 11 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.72 GPH).
The GP8000E is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Because the GP8000E is equipped with a twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, it is transfer switch ready: it can power your home during a power outage, as it can be easily connected to your breaker box to power your household.
The dimensions of the Generac GP8000E, which are L27.2 x W27 x H26.5 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The featured design is ideal for the outdoors and all tough environments.
Since the generator weighs 198 lbs, it will be incredibly difficult to manually lift it and transport it, even though it is technically considered to 'be portable' (in the sense that it is movable). Nevertheless, thanks to its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle (a decent solution to its lack of maneuverability), the generator can be easily moved, once placed the ground.
Monitoring of the GP8000E's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the usual set of documentation and owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, Generac also included some oil in the GP8000E's packaging.
The Generac GP8000E is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP8000E versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP8000E compare to generators of similar power (between 7500 and 8500 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Generac GP8000E weighs just 198 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 7500 to 8500 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Lifan LF8750iEPL, with a dry weight of just 185 pounds.
- Thanks to an impressive running time of around 11 hours at 50% load, the GP8000E benefits from a higher run time than many generators of a similar output. Concerning the run times, one of the several devices with a comparable output, offering the highest autonomy, is the Firman H08053, which is able to run for around 12 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.72 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Pulsar PG10000B16, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.55 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 7500-8500W generators, the Generac GP8000E is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- GFCI Outlets
- Electric start
- Lightweight for its kind (198 lbs)
- High run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- Not CARB-compliant
Features and Specifications
|Engine||420 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||8000 W|
|Starting watts||10000 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||66.7/33.3 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||83.3/41.7 amps|
|Run time @50% load||11 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 7.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 27 x 26.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and battery|
|Other model numbers||7686|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP8000E is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||6392 W||7892 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Total||6390 W||6980 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||5480 W||9980 W|
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.