Zoom on the Generac GP6500
In summary, the Generac GP6500 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- Food truck owners who want to ensure that their business is fully self-contained and does not rely on potentially unreliable external power
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Professionals who want to ensure that a power failure will not prevent them from working
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP6500's engine, 389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120/240V. It provides a running wattage of 6500W and reaches a peak wattage of 8125W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a fuel capacity of 6.9 gallons, the GP6500 may run for around 10.5 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.66 GPH).
The powering of sensitive electronic devices with the GP6500 is not recommended due to its relatively high THD (<20%).
The control panel includes the following 5 AC outlets:
Due to the featured twist-lock L14-30R receptacle, the GP6500 is transfer switch ready: you may connect it to a breaker box to power your household during a power outage.
The Generac GP6500 has the following dimensions: L27.2 x W27 x H26.5 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 172 pounds. However, this lack of maneuverability is compensated by its wheel kit (⌀9.5") and its folding handle, with which you can conveniently shift it, once it's on the ground.
To help you monitor the GP6500's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
Thanks to a built-in fuel gauge, the generator allows you to quickly, conveniently and easily check the gas level at a glance.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
The GP6500 also benefits from Generac’s COsense® carbon monoxide monitoring. This technology senses and manages CO output and shuts down the unit when necessary, to minitgate CO poisoning. It’s a welcomed additional security feature, but don’t forget to always take your generator outside (opens in a new tab).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Generac GP6500 also comes with some accessories: funnel and oil are included.
The Generac GP6500 is EPA approved, but NOT CARB-compliant. Thus, it cannot be purchased or sold in California.
However, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP6500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP6500 compare to generators of similar power (between 6000 and 7000 W).
- Weight-wise, the Generac GP6500 has only 172 lbs, which renders it one of the lighter generators which produce 6000 to 7000 rated watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above mentioned power range is the Sportsman GEN85KIDF, with a dry weight of just 133 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the GP6500, with an autonomy of around 10.5 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Generac XC6500, reaching around 14 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This generator has an estimated fuel consumption of roughly 0.66 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, rendering it somewhat average compared to devices of a similar output. If you wish to acquire one of the most gasoline efficient products of this power range, the Lifan ESI 7000iER-EFI, with a fuel consumption of 0.38 GPH could be in your good books.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 6000-7000W generators, the Generac GP6500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- COsense® technology
- Several accessories included
- GFCI Outlets
- Lightweight for its kind (172 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Not CARB-compliant
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||389 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120/240V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||6500 W|
|Starting watts||8125 W|
|Running amps (@120/240V)||54.2/27.1 amps|
|Peaks amps (@120/240V)||67.7/33.9 amps|
|Run time @50% load||10.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 6.9 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||27.2 x 27 x 26.5 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Neutral||Bonded to frame|
|Accessories included||Oil and funnel|
|Other model numbers||7680|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP6500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||5192 W||6692 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||5195 W||5785 W|
|For work||Table saw||1800||4500|
|Air compressor (1 hp)||1600||6100|
|Total||3480 W||7980 W|
What model of carburetor for the generac generator 5500? (Asked July 04, 2020)
The carburetor part number is 0J2451. You can easily buy it online here on Amazon (opens in a new tab).
How many decibels does this put out (Asked August 09, 2020)
Unfortunately, Generac do not provide information regarding their units' noise rating.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.