Zoom on the Generac GP3600
In summary, the Generac GP3600 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3600's core is the 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3600W and a peak wattage of 4500W.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
The GP3600 can operate for around 9.3 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons.
Since the GP3600 has a somewhat high THD (<25%), it is advisable to not use it for the powering of sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
Even if this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
With its dimensions of L24 x W22.5 x H21.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Generac GP3600 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
Even though this device may be technically portable (as in movable), manipulation and transportation without special equipment can be a challenge, as it weighs 105 pounds. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
To help you monitor the GP3600's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with a digital data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
The generator includes a built-in fuel gauge, a quick, easy and convenient method of checking the device’s gas level.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac GP3600's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Generac GP3600 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP3600 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3600 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 105 lbs, the Generac GP3600 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 3500 to 4500 rated watts. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GP3600, reaching around 9.3 hours at a 50% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. As this generator uses an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.17 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Generac GP3600 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Decent weight (105 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||Unknown|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 22.5 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and wheel kit|
|Other model numbers||7678|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3600 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Dish washer||1500||3000|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||4367 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3600?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
What make is the engine? (Asked April 19, 2020)
The engine is Generac-branded, but neither engineered nor manufactured in the U.S.
Will this gp3600 run an electric pressure washer ? (Asked August 08, 2020)
A basic electric pressure washer usually has a 12 to 13-amp motor, which operates on 120V. 13x120=1560W.
What type of oil and when does it need to be changed (Asked August 14, 2020)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.