Zoom on the Generac GP3600
In summary, the Generac GP3600 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3600's build contains a gasoline-fueled 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3600W and also a peak wattage of 4500W.
This generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GP3600 can operate for around 9.3 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons.
The GP3600 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
While this Generac generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Generac GP3600 has the following dimensions: L24 x W22.5 x H21.3 in. In combination with its conventional, open frame design, they provide support and allow the generator to be raised above ground level. The device has been designed for tough environments and demanding outdoor use.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 105 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport. Never less, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of a wheel kit (⌀8") and a folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
To help you monitor the GP3600's status and activity, its control panel is equipped with an illuminated data center, giving you information on the lifetime run hours.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and a user manual to get you promptly started, the Generac GP3600 also comes with some accessories: oil, tool kit and funnel are included.
The Generac GP3600 is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP3600 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3600 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- Regarding its weight, the Generac GP3600 only weighs in at 105 pounds, which means it's one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Energizer eZV4500, with a dry weight of only 78 lbs.
- As for its autonomy, the GP3600, with an autonomy of 9.3 hours at a 50% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EB4000, with 16 hours .
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, this generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.17 GPH, the Westinghouse iGen4200 is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Generac GP3600 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (105 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Where to buy the Generac GP3600?
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets||2x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.7 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 22.5 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3600 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.