Zoom on the Generac GP3600
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3600 is a portable generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3600's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3600W and also a peak wattage of 4500W.
This generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism.
Thanks to a fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons, the GP3600 can operate for around 9.3 hours at 50% load with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH).
As the GP3600 has a relatively high THD (<25%), it is not recommended to use it to power sensitive electronic devices.
The control panel provides the upcoming 5 AC outlets:
Even if this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The design of the Generac GP3600 is a typical, open frame, with the dimensions of L24 x W22.5 x H21.3 in, offering support and stability and enabling the possibility of raising it above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 105 lbs. Still, once it is on the ground, its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle can easily solve the issue of low mobility and allow for easy relocation of the device.
Monitoring of the GP3600's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
The fuel level of the generator can be determined quickly, easily, and conveniently with the help of its built-in fuel gauge.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Generac GP3600, the following accessories are also included: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Generac GP3600 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP3600 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3600 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As for its weight, the Generac GP3600 weighs only 105 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9.3 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GP3600 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this generator uses an estimated 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Generac GP3600 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (105 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 22.5 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||7678|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3600 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2867 W||3867 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2840 W||3430 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What make is the engine? (Asked April 19, 2020)
The engine is Generac-branded, but neither engineered nor manufactured in the U.S.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.