Zoom on the Generac GP3600
In summary, the Generac GP3600 is a portable generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3600 is powered by a 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3600W as well as a peak wattage of 4500W.
This generator is started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism.
With a full tank, the GP3600 can operate for around 9.3 hours at 50% load (fuel consumption around 0.4 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 3.7 gallons.
The GP3600 is unsuitable for the powering of sensitive electronic devices due to its relatively high THD (<25%).
The control panel features the following 5 AC outlets:
This Generac generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
With its dimensions of L24 x W22.5 x H21.3 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Generac GP3600 offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
As the generator's weight is 105 pounds, manually moving it or transporting it may be challenging, despite the fact that it is technically considered 'portable' (movable). Nevertheless, it can still be moved quite conveniently with the help of its wheel kit (⌀8") and its folding handle, once it is placed on the ground.
The control panel of the GP3600 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the lifetime run hours.
A built-in fuel gauge allows for a quick, easy and convenient check of the fuel level of the generator.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Generac GP3600 also comes with some accessories: funnel, tool kit and oil are included.
The Generac GP3600 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP3600 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3600 compare to generators of similar power (between 3500 and 4500 W).
- As for its weight, the Generac GP3600 weighs only 105 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 3500-4500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- As far as autonomy is concerned, providing around 9.3 hours of runtime with a full tank at a 50% load, the GP3600 falls into the low end in comparison with other devices of a comparable power output. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Honda EB4000X, reaching around 16 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This generator has an average fuel consumption among comparably powerful devices, as it reaches 0.4 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 50% load. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Westinghouse iGen4200. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.17 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 3500-4500W generators, the Generac GP3600 is on the cheap side of the price range.
It can therefore be a really good buy if you're looking to acquire a budget generator.
The bottom line
- Several accessories included
- Lightweight for its kind (105 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz|
|Running watts||3600 W|
|Starting watts||4500 W|
|Running amps||30 amps|
|Peaks amps||37.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||9.3 h|
|Run time @25% load||N/A|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Yes|
|AC outlets|| |
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Fuel tank||Steel, 3.7 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||24 x 22.5 x 21.3 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||7678|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3600 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2857 W||3857 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2860 W||3450 W|
|Total||2740 W||3840 W|
What make is the engine? (Asked April 19, 2020)
The engine is Generac-branded, but neither engineered nor manufactured in the U.S.
Will this gp3600 run an electric pressure washer ? (Asked August 08, 2020)
A basic electric pressure washer usually has a 12 to 13-amp motor, which operates on 120V. 13x120=1560W.
What type of oil and when does it need to be changed (Asked August 14, 2020)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.