Zoom on the Generac GP3300i
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3300i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3300i's core is the 149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2500W and a peak wattage of 3300W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
This inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The GP3300i can operate for up to 7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the GP3300i produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
Even if this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in), the Generac GP3300i, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
The 59.5 lbs of the GP3300i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, moving the GP3300i from A to B is made easier thanks to its convenient handle (molded in the case), which vastly improves your grip.
Several light indicators serve to show you when its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is on overload.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac GP3300i also comes with several accessories, including: oil, tool kit and funnel.
The Generac GP3300i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP3300i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3300i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Generac GP3300i weighs just 59.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 2000 to 3000 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Ford FG2300iS, with a dry weight of just 46.3 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the GP3300i, with an autonomy of up to 7 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Cummins Onan P2500i, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Generac GP3300i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (59.5 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||3300 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peak amps||27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||7154|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3300i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Electric fry pan||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Cell phone charger||20||20|
|Total||1982 W||2982 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||1990 W||2580 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1980 W||3080 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3300i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can a 3300i be used on a RV that has a surge guard that is hard wired. (Asked June 23, 2021)
The unit has a floating neutral. Your surge guard protection device may detect this as an open ground condition and not allow power to pass through. In that case, you may need to bond the neutral.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.