Zoom on the Generac GP3300i
In summary, the Generac GP3300i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3300i's engine, 149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2500W and reaches a peak wattage of 3300W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon allows the GP3300i to operate for up to 7 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.15 GPH).
The GP3300i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
While this Generac generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
As the Generac GP3300i is an inverter generator, its encased design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in) offers more aesthetics than a conventional, open frame product. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
With a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the GP3300i can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Moreover, shifting it is an easy task, as the GP3300i features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
The device’s light indicators will display if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, giving you a peace of mind during use.
Besides the classic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab) to get you promptly started, the Generac GP3300i also comes with some accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil are included.
The Generac GP3300i is EPA-approved and CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP3300i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3300i compare to generators of similar power (between 2000 and 3000 W).
- As far as its dry weight is concerned, the Generac GP3300i weighs just 59.5 pounds and thus, it is one of the lighter 2000 to 3000 rated wattage generators. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Ford FG2300iS, with a dry weight of just 46.3 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GP3300i, reaching up to 7 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. Furthermore, considering the run times, one of the generators which have a roughly same power output, with the highest autonomy, is the Westinghouse WGen2000, as it provides up to 26 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator can be considered as fuel efficient, due to its low estimated fuel consumption of only 0.15 GPH (gallon per hour) at 25% load, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Westinghouse iGen2500, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.1 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2000-3000W generators, the Generac GP3300i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (59.5 lbs)
- Fuel efficient
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2500 W|
|Starting watts||3300 W|
|Running amps||20.8 amps|
|Peak amps||27.5 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||7 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||7154|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3300i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||1992 W||2992 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||1980 W||2430 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||1980 W||3080 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3300i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Can a 3300i be used on a RV that has a surge guard that is hard wired. (Asked June 23, 2021)
The unit has a floating neutral. Your surge guard protection device may detect this as an open ground condition and not allow power to pass through. In that case, you may need to bond the neutral.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.