Zoom on the Generac GP3000i
In summary, the Generac GP3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
- Amateur DIY lovers
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3000i's engine, 149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 2,300W and reaches a peak wattage of 3,000W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (Generac 7668 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
This inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The GP3000i can operate for up to 5.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon.
The GP3000i produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even if this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Generac GP3000i is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The GP3000i's dry weight of 59.5 lbs lets you use its power anywhere needed. In addition, its nifty handle (molded in the case) improves your grip, allowing for an easy transport of the GP3000i from place to place.
Several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is overloaded and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Regarding its accessories, besides the aforementioned features, the Generac GP3000i's box includes the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start it right off the bat.
The Generac GP3000i is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3000i compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Considering its dry weight of 59.5 pounds, the Generac GP3000i is one of the heavier inverter generators producing between 1500 and 2500 running watts. If you are concerned by weight, one of the champions in the above-mentioned power range is the Genmax GM2000i, with a dry weight of just 34.2 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GP3000i, reaching up to 5.8 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other inverters of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the DuroMax XP2300iH, boasting with up to 13 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.18 GPH. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the DuroMax XP2300iH, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.08 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from these interactive charts, when compared to other 1500-2500W inverter generators, the Generac GP3000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- No data center
- No electric start
- On the heavy side (59.5 lbs)
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Yes, cable not included
|149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke
|AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V
|Run time @50% load
|Run time @25% load
|Automatic Voltage Regulation
|2x 5V USB port
|Low oil, overload and output ready
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)
|22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in
|Noise (lower limit)
|Low oil and overload protection
|Other model numbers
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac GP3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Refrigerator (energy star)
|AC (10,000 BTU)
|Pair of small speakers
|Electric fence (25 miles)
What is the noise rating of the GP3000i?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.