Zoom on the Generac GP3000i
In summary, the Generac GP3000i is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3000i's core is the 149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 2300W and a peak wattage of 3000W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (iQ3500 Parallel kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
Its starting mechanism is based on a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 1.06 gallon allows the GP3000i to operate for up to 5.8 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The GP3000i generates a clean sine wave: providing <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), delicate electronics can be plugged in its AC outlets safely.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
Even if this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
The Generac GP3000i's characteristic encased inverter generator design (L22.2 x W13.3 x H18.4 in), provides an esthetical advantage over any ordinary, open frame product. The featured design follows the latest trends and is ideal for easy and recreational use.
The 59.5 lbs of the GP3000i's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Moreover, displacement is an easy task, as the GP3000i features a nifty handle (molded in the case), improving your grip greatly.
The light indicators show you if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is ready and the generator is overloaded.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Along with the aforementioned features, from an accessory standpoint, the Generac GP3000i's box includes the typical documentation and a user manual, which will help you start your generator promptly.
The Generac GP3000i is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, so it is adequate for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP3000i versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3000i compare to generators of similar power (between 1500 and 2500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 59.5 lbs, the Generac GP3000i belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 1500 to 2500 rated watts. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN 56202i, with a dry weight of only 38.6 lbs.
- The GP3000i’s autonomy is somewhat low end compared to devices of its power range, as it reaches only up to 5.8 hours at 25% load on a full tank. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Westinghouse WGen2000, reaching up to 26 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. In fact, this inverter generator is not among the most fuel efficient, within the aforementioned wattage range : its estimated gasoline consumption at 25% load is around 0.18 GPH. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.08 GPH, the Predator 2000 is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 1500-2500W generators, the Generac GP3000i is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (59.5 lbs)
- No data center
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||149 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||2300 W|
|Starting watts||3000 W|
|Running amps||19.2 amps|
|Peaks amps||25 amps|
|Run time @50% load||4.5 h|
|Run time @25% load||5.8 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (L5-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||1.06 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||22.2 x 13.3 x 18.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3000i is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.