Zoom on the Generac GP3500iO
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3500iO is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3500iO's engine, 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3000W and reaches a peak wattage of 3500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (GP3500iO Parallel Kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
This inverter generator gets running thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The GP3500iO can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.37 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GP3500iO generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
This Generac generator is RV Ready, thanks to its TT-30R receptacle (TT stands for 'Travel Trailer').
With its dimensions of L19.3 x W16.9 x H16.4 in, the conventional, open frame design of the Generac GP3500iO offers stability and allows the generator to be raised above ground level. The generator is designed for ideal use outdoors and in rough environments.
The 74.3 lbs of the GP3500iO's dry weight enables you to use it anywhere you will ever need. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
One of the many GP3500iO's features is the data center, included in its control panel, which conveniently provides information on the lifetime run hours and thus, helps you monitor its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the oil level is too low and the generator is overloaded.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and a user manual, useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac GP3500iO's package also includes these accessories: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Generac GP3500iO is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac GP3500iO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3500iO compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the Generac GP3500iO weighs only 74.3 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- Autonomy-wise, with up to 11 hours on a full tank at a 25% load, the GP3500iO is on the low end when compared to other generators of a similar power output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Honda EU3000iS, boasting with up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator is somewhat less fuel efficient than devices of comparable output: its estimated fuel consumption reaches 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
As you can see from this dynamic chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3500iO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- RV Ready
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (74.3 lbs)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||No|
|AC outlets||1x Duplex 120V 20A (5-20R) |
1x 120V 30A (TT-30R)
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.37 gal|
|Dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 16.9 x 16.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel and tool kit|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3500iO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies. Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
There are no questions yet. Ask the first question.