Zoom on the Generac GP3500iO
In summary, the Generac GP3500iO is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Handcrafting enthusiasts who wish to work on-the-go
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating hobbyists looking for a portable power source
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3500iO's core is the 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3,000W and a peak wattage of 3,500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (GP3500iO Parallel Kit not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
This inverter generator is started via a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a fuel capacity of 2.37 gallons, the GP3500iO may run for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the GP3500iO generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This Generac generator features an L5-30R receptacle, enabling an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor. However, it is still not quite RV ready.
The dimensions of the Generac GP3500iO, which are L19.3 x W16.9 x H16.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. This type of design is ideal for tough environments and heavy outdoor use.
With a dry weight of 74.3 lbs, the GP3500iO can easily follow you wherever your power needs are. Furthermore, the open frame of the generator further helps when holding and moving it to a different place.
A digital data center, one of the features of the GP3500iO's control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the device’s light indicators will display if the generator is on overload, the oil level is too low and the generator is ready.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Generac GP3500iO, the following accessories are also included: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Generac GP3500iO is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac GP3500iO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3500iO compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- In terms of its dry weight, the Generac GP3500iO stands at only 74.3 lbs, meaning that is one of the lighter inverters of the 2500-3500 rated wattage category If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO with only 46 pounds.
- As for its autonomy, the GP3500iO, with an autonomy of up to 11 hours at a 25% load, is placed on the low end among the generators of its kind. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 200914, reaching up to 22 hours.
- Even though run times are undoubtedly important, they are dependent on the fuel capacity to a large extent. For a more wholesome picture, we must take into consideration the fuel consumption of the generator. This inverter generator is rather wasteful, compared to other devices within the aforementioned output range, when it comes to gasoline consumption, as it reaches roughly 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Generac GP3500iO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (74.3 lbs)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.37 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 16.9 x 16.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||7128|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac GP3500iO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Microwave (1000 watts)||1500||1500|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
What is the noise rating of the GP3500iO?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Does it have an eco mode? (Asked March 19th, 2020)
There is an economy switch that can be put to "ON" when running appliances or equipment that are resistive loads (non-motor starting), such as TVs, lights, laptops, etc.
I want a fuel shut off valve where do I find it (Asked September 24, 2020)
The "OFF" position of the PowerDial Switch stops the engine and shuts off fuel flow.
This unit is a inverter generator ,why do you say it isn't for RV . Is it good for Small 24 ft. Travel trailer? 1 small roof air conditioner? And tv outlets few other things ? (Asked March 20, 2021)
We did not say it's not for RV. We said it's not RV-Ready, since it does not have a TT-30R outlet. This does not mean that the unit is not suitable for an RV. You may read our definition of RV-Ready and use our wattage calculator to estimate your appliances power needs.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.