Zoom on the Generac GP3500iO
In a nutshell, the Generac GP3500iO is a compact and lightweight portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac GP3500iO houses a 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which provides 120V, consumes gasoline and delivers a running wattage of 3000W along with a peak wattage of 3500W. In addition, the device is parallel capable (GP3500iO Parallel Kit not included) and thus, can be linked to a similar or compatible unit for added power.
This inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism. It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The GP3500iO can operate for up to 11 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.22 GPH), due to its fuel capacity of 2.37 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the GP3500iO produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel provides the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
While this Generac generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The dimensions of the Generac GP3500iO, which are L19.3 x W16.9 x H16.4 in, and its typical, open frame design provides stability and enables the generator to be raised above ground level. The design is ideal for rough environments and demanding outdoor use.
The GP3500iO can be taken anywhere with you, thanks to its weight of 74.3 lbs. Moreover, its open frame design makes it incredibly easy to grab the frame in order to change its location.
A digital data center, one of the features of the GP3500iO’s control panel, gives you information on the lifetime run hours, and thus, is helpful for the monitoring of its activity and status.
In addition to this info, the light indicators show you if the generator is ready, the generator is on overload and the oil level is too low.
As for its security measures, the device features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), letting you use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac GP3500iO's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Generac GP3500iO is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, making it usable in forested areas.
The Generac GP3500iO versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac GP3500iO compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As for its weight, the Generac GP3500iO weighs only 74.3 pounds, making it one of the lighter generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Regarding its autonomy, the autonomy of the GP3500iO, reaching up to 11 hours at a 25% load, can be considered as low end, compared to other products of a roughly equal output. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200954, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- Autonomy holds its importance, however, it is largely dependent on the generator’s fuel capacity and so, it is nonsensible to discuss it without mentioning fuel efficiency as well. Compared to its peers, this inverter generator is not exactly fuel efficient, compared to similarly powerful devices, with an estimated fuel consumption of 0.22 GPH at a 25% load. If you are concerned with gasoline efficiency, having a fuel consumption of just 0.13 GPH, the Energizer eZV3200P is a device you should look out for.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac GP3500iO is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Parallel capable
- Lightweight (74.3 lbs)
- No electric start
- Relatively low run time
- Low fuel efficiency
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8 h|
|Run time @25% load||11 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Lifetime run hours|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.37 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||19.3 x 16.9 x 16.4 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, and tool kit|
|Other model numbers||7128|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac GP3500iO is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Does it have an eco mode? (Asked March 19th, 2020)
There is an economy switch that can be put to "ON" when running appliances or equipment that are resistive loads (non-motor starting), such as TVs, lights, laptops, etc.
I want a fuel shut off valve where do I find it (Asked September 24, 2020)
The "OFF" position of the PowerDial Switch stops the engine and shuts off fuel flow.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.