Zoom on the Generac iQ3500
In summary, the Generac iQ3500 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be able to use the most necessary devices in their household, even during a blackout
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac iQ3500's core is the 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine, which runs on gasoline. With an output of 120V, it provides a running wattage of 3000W and a peak wattage of 3500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (iQ3500 Parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
This inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the iQ3500 to operate for up to 14.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the iQ3500 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Even if this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, it still allows for an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor, thanks to its L5-30R receptacle.
Thanks to its closed inverter generator design (L23.7 x W18 x H21.7 in), the Generac iQ3500, is more esthetical than a typical, open frame generator. This type of design is the most modern and convenient way to recreationally generate power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 109.1 lbs.
Monitoring of the iQ3500's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the remaining run time, fuel level, power output and lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the generator is ready, its oil levels are insufficient and the generator is on overload.
Security-wise, this product benefits from an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, which gives you a complete peace of mind when using it.
With the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), letting you start the generator quickly, the Generac iQ3500 also comes with several accessories, including: oil, funnel and tool kit.
The Generac iQ3500 is CARB-compliant. Therefore, its sale and purchase are permitted in all of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac iQ3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac iQ3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- At a weight of 109.1 pounds, the Generac iQ3500 places in the expected weight range of the generators in the 2500-3500 rated wattage range. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the WEN GN400i, with a dry weight of only 66.1 lbs.
- The iQ3500 provides a higher run time than similarly powerful devices, reaching up to 14.1 hours at 25% load. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, with up to 20 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. Standing at an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, this inverter generator is somewhat average in this area compared to other devices, within the aforementioned wattage range. If fuel consumption is your top priority, we suggest to check out the Energizer eZV3200P, which has a fuel consumption of only 0.13 GPH and thus, is one of the most efficient devices in our database.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac iQ3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Decent weight (109.1 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and remaining run time|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 18 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery|
|Other model numbers||7127|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac iQ3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Does the IQ3500 have an automatic throttle control were the more power needed the higher the RPM? (Asked April 04, 2020)
Absolutely. Engine speed is automatically adjusted according to the load.
What do I need and how often do I need to do maintenance on this unit? (Asked June 08, 2020)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.