Zoom on the Generac iQ3500
In a nutshell, the Generac iQ3500 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in sporting competitions, open-air performances and outdoor festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
In the sections ahead, the power characteristics, availability of various outlets, the portability, and any additional features of the device shall be discussed, including its emission compliance information.
Power & Run Time
The Generac iQ3500's engine, 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke, fueled by gasoline, can deliver 120V. It provides a running wattage of 3000W and reaches a peak wattage of 3500W. In addition, as it is parallel capable (iQ3500 Parallel kit not included), this power can be doubled when linked to another similar or compatible unit.
This inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a full tank, the iQ3500 can operate for up to 14.1 hours (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
The iQ3500 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the upcoming 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which charging of electronics like mobile phones and tablets is made convenient.
This Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Since the Generac iQ3500 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L23.7 x W18 x H21.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 109.1 lbs.
Monitoring of the iQ3500's status and activity is made possible by a digital data center, which provides information on the power output, remaining run time, fuel level and lifetime run hours and is one of the features of its control panel.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if its oil levels are insufficient, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac iQ3500's package also includes these accessories: funnel, oil and tool kit.
The Generac iQ3500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and thus, may be used in forested areas.
The Generac iQ3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac iQ3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- Having a dry weight of 109.1 lbs, the Generac iQ3500 belongs in the expected weight range for generators which produce 2500 to 3500 rated watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the WEN GN400i, weighing just 66.1 pounds.
- With a run time of up to 14.1 hours at 25% load, the iQ3500 has one of the higher run times, compared to its similarly powerful peers. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Honda EU3000iS, with up to 20 hours.
- The run time is important, but also hugely depends on the capacity of the fuel tank and doesn't mean much if we don't talk about fuel consumption as well. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3200P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac iQ3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- High run time
- Decent weight (109.1 lbs)
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and remaining run time|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 18 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||N/A|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit and battery|
|Other model numbers||7127|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac iQ3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Does the IQ3500 have an automatic throttle control were the more power needed the higher the RPM? (Asked April 04, 2020)
Absolutely. Engine speed is automatically adjusted according to the load.
What do I need and how often do I need to do maintenance on this unit? (Asked June 08, 2020)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.