Zoom on the Generac iQ3500
In a nutshell, the Generac iQ3500 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers looking for even more independence
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Tailgating and campground aficionados with the desire of enjoying power anywhere they go
Power & Run Time
The Generac iQ3500 is powered by a 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3000W as well as a peak wattage of 3500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (iQ3500 Parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
This inverter generator can be started via a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, or a convenient and easy-to-use electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
The fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons allows the iQ3500 to operate for up to 14.1 hours with a full tank (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH).
The iQ3500 produces a clean sine wave: thanks to a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD), your sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets.
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Additionally, it features 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports allowing you to conveniently charge electronics such as mobile phones and tablets.
While this Generac generator is not RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle can be used for a simple RV connection with an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Generac iQ3500 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.7 x W18 x H21.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. This modern design aims to provide an ideal power solution to recreational users.
Although this generator is technically considered 'portable' (in the sense that it can be moved), its 109.1 lbs make it incredibly difficult to manually lift and transport.
The control panel of the iQ3500 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the remaining run time, fuel level, lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, some light indicators allow you to instantly see if the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
From a security standpoint, the product offers an overload protection (circuit breaker) and an automatic low oil shut-off, allowing you to use it with a peace of mind.
Along the basic documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), useful for starting the generator right away, the Generac iQ3500's package also includes these accessories: tool kit, oil and funnel.
The Generac iQ3500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac iQ3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac iQ3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 109.1 pounds, the Generac iQ3500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. Regarding dry weight, one of the champions in the same power range is the Generac GP3300i, with a dry weight of only 59.5 lbs.
- The iQ3500, offering a run time of up to 14.1 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If concerned with autonomy, one of the products of a comparable power output, which offers the highest run time, is the Champion 200954, boasting with up to 22 hours.
- While the run time is an important parameter, it is dependent on the fuel tank’s capacity and thus, doesn’t say much on its own unless we consider fuel consumption as well. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If not satisfied with the afore-mentioned fuel consumption, you may wish to check out the Energizer eZV3500P. With a fuel consumption of as little as 0.13 GPH, it is one of the most efficient generators currently on the market.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac iQ3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (109.1 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and remaining run time|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 18 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery|
|Other model numbers||7127|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac iQ3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
What is the noise rating of the iQ3500?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Does the IQ3500 have an automatic throttle control were the more power needed the higher the RPM? (Asked April 04, 2020)
Absolutely. Engine speed is automatically adjusted according to the load.
What do I need and how often do I need to do maintenance on this unit? (Asked June 08, 2020)
Can it be connected to bluetooth? (Asked January 23, 2021)
Unfortunately, this unit does not have such a feature. You may check our list of all units with Bluetooth connectivity.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.