ShortlistShortlistedRemoved from shortlist 146
Zoom on the Generac iQ3500
In summary, the Generac iQ3500 is a compact portable inverter generator especially useful for:
- RV travellers who wish to upgrade their experience to another level
- People occasionally participating in outdoor fairs, festivals or events
- Amateur DIY lovers
- Homeowners who want to be sure of their ability to power their fridges, cooking tools, heating and lighting equipment during power failures
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac iQ3500's design includes a gasoline-fueled 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. With a 120V output, it gives a running wattage of 3,000W and also a peak wattage of 3,500W. Additionally, as the generator is parallel capable (Generac 7668 Parallel kit (opens in a new tab) not included), it can be linked to a second unit for more power.
This inverter generator can be started thanks to a simple traditional pull-start mechanism, but also to a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a full tank, the iQ3500 can operate for up to 14.1 hours (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
Sensitive electronics can be safely plugged in the AC outlets, as the iQ3500 produces a clean sine wave, with a <3% Total Harmonic Distortion (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
Furthermore, it has 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
Even though this Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, its L5-30R receptacle allows an easy RV connection via an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
The Generac iQ3500 is an inverter generator and has an encased design of the following dimensions: L23.7 x W18 x H21.7 in. Thus, it is more aesthetical than conventional, open frame products. The design follows the contemporary trends and is perfect for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 109.1 lbs. The additional purchase of a wheel kit for this generator, like this one (opens in a new tab), can therefore be a good idea, if you wish to benefit from a greater mobility.
The control panel of the iQ3500 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the remaining run time, power output, fuel level and lifetime run hours.
In addition to this info, several light indicators serve to show you when the oil level is too low, the generator is on overload and the generator is ready.
From a security point of view, the generator is equipped with an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker), giving you a peace of mind during use.
Apart from the typical documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), which lets you start it right away, the Generac iQ3500 also is packed along with the following accessories: funnel, tool kit and oil.
The Generac iQ3500 is CARB-compliant. It can therefore be sold and purchased in all 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor, which makes it suitable for use in forested areas.
The Generac iQ3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac iQ3500 compare to inverter generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its dry weight is 109.1 pounds, the Generac iQ3500 is one of the heavier of the inverters which can generate 2500 to 3500 running watts. If weight is your top priority, one of the champions in this power category is the Pulsar PGD40iSCO, weighing just 46 pounds.
- The iQ3500, offering a run time of up to 14.1 hours with a full tank at a 25% load, falls within the average autonomy range when compared to its peers. If autonomy is your priority, one of the devices of a similar power output with the highest run time is the Champion 200954, reaching up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. This inverter generator reaches an estimated fuel consumption of 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, making it average, for the previously mentioned wattage range. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3500P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
- Generac iQ3500 vs Generac GP3000i
- Generac iQ3500 vs Generac GP3300i
- Generac iQ3500 vs Generac GP3500iO
- Generac iQ3500 vs Generac GP3600
- Generac iQ3500 vs Generac iQ2000
- Generac iQ3500 vs Honda EU2200i
- Generac iQ3500 vs Honda EU3000iS
- Generac iQ3500 vs Predator 3500
- Generac iQ3500 vs WEN 56380i
- Generac iQ3500 vs Westinghouse iGen4500
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W inverter generators, the Generac iQ3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
- On the heavy side (109.1 lbs)
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3,000 W|
|Starting watts||3,500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peak amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and remaining run time|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 18 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery|
|Other model numbers||7127|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are engineered and built in the USA. However, their components can be a mix of domestic and foreign parts.
The Generac iQ3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||AC (10,000 BTU)||1500||2200|
|Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Set of 5 LED light bulbs||55||55|
|Total||2397 W||3397 W|
|For camping||RV AC (11,000 BTU)||1010||1600|
|Total||2390 W||2980 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
What is the noise rating of the iQ3500?
Due to the lack of standardization in noise emission measurement, Generac does not provide their units' noise levels.
Does the IQ3500 have an automatic throttle control were the more power needed the higher the RPM? (Asked April 04, 2020)
Absolutely. Engine speed is automatically adjusted according to the load.
What do I need and how often do I need to do maintenance on this unit? (Asked June 08, 2020)
Here's the maintenance schedule recommended by Generac for the iQ3500:
Can it be connected to bluetooth? (Asked January 23, 2021)
Unfortunately, this unit does not have such a feature. You may check our list of all units with Bluetooth connectivity.
If I have running since 10:30pm night time n shut off about 11am how can I see a gas level o a Gage that tells me how much gas it have left (Asked September 21, 2022)
The unit's digital display provides information on remaining fuel level.
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.
Fired right up, out of the box, battery connected, oil and fuel added. two quick pushes on the electric starter swithch and it was up and running.