Zoom on the Generac iQ3500
In a nutshell, the Generac iQ3500 is a compact portable inverter generator mostly geared towards:
- RV travellers wishing to enhance their freedom and nomad lifestyle
- Occasional participants of outdoor events, competitions, concerts and festivals
- DIYers who wish to improve their efficiency with tools
- Homeowners in need of an emergency backup power for their essentials
- Camping and tailgating buffs looking to enhance their experience
The following sections will present you in detail its power characteristics, the different outlets it offers, its overall portability, the extra features it benefits from, and any relevant emission compliance details.
Power & Run Time
The Generac iQ3500 is powered by a 212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke engine. It delivers 120V, runs on gasoline and offers a running wattage of 3000W as well as a peak wattage of 3500W. Moreover, since it is parallel capable (iQ3500 Parallel kit not included), its power may be doubled if linked to a second compatible unit.
This inverter generator features a conventional pull-start mechanism, but also a simple and elegant electric starter (battery included). It features Generac's PowerDial™, an easy-to-use dial with three operation settings.
With a full tank, the iQ3500 can operate for up to 14.1 hours (fuel consumption around 0.18 GPH), thanks to its fuel capacity of 2.6 gallons.
Delicate electronics can be plugged in an AC outlets safely, as the iQ3500 generates a clean sine wave, reaching a <3% Total Harmonic Disruption (THD).
The control panel features the following 3 AC outlets:
It also sports 2 DC outlets: there's two 5V USB ports with which you may charge electronics, for example mobile phones or tablets, conveniently.
This Generac generator isn't quite RV Ready, but it features an L5-30R receptacle, allowing a simple RV connection through an L5-30P to TT-30R adaptor.
Since the Generac iQ3500 is an inverter generator, its closed design (L23.7 x W18 x H21.7 in) has an esthetical advantage over conventional, open frame devices. The generator has a contemporary design, convenient for recreationally generating power.
While the generator is considered to be technically 'portable' (in the sense that you can move it), manually lifting and transporting it may be challenging, due to its high weight of 109.1 lbs.
The control panel of the iQ3500 includes a digital data center, which assists you in monitoring its status and activity, as it provides information on the fuel level, remaining run time, lifetime run hours and power output.
In addition to this info, when the generator is on overload, the generator is ready and its oil levels are insufficient, you will be informed by the featured light indicators.
As far as security is concerned, the generator can be used with a peace of mind, as it features an automatic low oil shut-off and an overload protection (circuit breaker).
While the standard documentation and an owner's manual (opens in a new tab), helpful for starting the device promptly, come with the Generac iQ3500, the following accessories are also included: tool kit, funnel and oil.
The Generac iQ3500 is CARB-compliant. Thus, selling and purchasing this generator is allowed in each of the 50 states, including California.
Moreover, it features a spark arrestor and therefore, can be used in forested areas.
The Generac iQ3500 versus other generators
The following charts are provided to give you an idea of how some of the key specs of the Generac iQ3500 compare to generators of similar power (between 2500 and 3500 W).
- As its weight is 109.1 pounds, the Generac iQ3500 falls in the expected weight range of the devices in the 2500-3500 rated wattage category. If weight matters to you, one of the champions in this power range is the WEN GN400i with only 66.1 pounds.
- Given that the iQ3500 reaches an autonomy of up to 14.1 hours with a full tank and at 25% load, it is placed within the average autonomy range of similarly powerful generators. If you consider autonomy on a single full tank as one of the deciding factors, one of the generators in the same power range that offers the highest run time is the Champion 200954, with up to 22 hours.
- Run times are important, yet thanks to their dependence on the fuel capacity, they should be judged along with the fuel consumption of the device. As this inverter generator uses an estimated 0.18 GPH (gallon per hour) at a 25% load, it finds itself in the average gasoline consumption range of similar products. If you wish to further improve in the area of fuel efficiency, the Energizer eZV3200P, which boasts with a gas consumption of only 0.13 GPH, may be the right generator for you.
Here's a list of the most popular specific comparisons:
As you can see from this interactive chart, when compared to other 2500-3500W generators, the Generac iQ3500 is on the average side of the price range.
Therefore, this generator nicely fits in the expected budget for this kind of product.
The bottom line
- In the expected price range
- Several accessories included
- Electric start
- Parallel capable
- Decent weight (109.1 lbs)
- Decent run time
- Decent fuel efficiency
- No remote start
Features and Specifications
|Parallel capable||Yes, cable not included|
|Engine||212 cc Generac OHV 4-stroke|
|Starting system||Recoil, Electric|
|Voltage||AC: 120V 60 Hz, DC: 5V|
|Running watts||3000 W|
|Starting watts||3500 W|
|Running amps||25 amps|
|Peaks amps||29.2 amps|
|Run time @50% load||8.9 h|
|Run time @25% load||14.1 h|
|Automatic Voltage Regulation||Inverter|
|AC outlets|| |
|DC outlets||2x 5V USB port|
|Data center||Power output, fuel level, lifetime run hours and remaining run time|
|Indicators||Low oil, overload and output ready|
|Fuel tank||2.6 gal|
|Approx. dimensions (L x W x H)||23.7 x 18 x 21.7 in|
|Noise (lower limit)||Unknown|
|Security||Low oil and overload protection|
|Accessories included||Oil, funnel, tool kit, and battery|
|Other model numbers||7127|
Unlike many websites, we did our best to research each of the specs above. That being said, we are not immune to making the occasional mistake or omission. Should you notice any missing or incorrect values, don't hesitate to suggest improvements so we can address the issue.
Generac Power Systems is an American based generator and power equipment manufacturer, founded in 1959. As its name suggests, the main focus of Generac are power generators, and other related electric equipment, such as switches, paralleling systems and small engines. The company has several manufacturing facilities based in the US, thus, their products are made in the USA. However, the company provides no information about the origin of their components.
The Generac iQ3500 is covered under a warranty for up to 3 years. This warranty may be limited and may not cover all parts of the generator.
For more information about the warranty of Generac generators, please consult Generac's warranty policies (opens in a new tab). Alternatively, you can also contact their Customer Support: 1-888-GENERAC (888-436-3722).
Questions & Answers
What can it power?
|Item||Running Watts||Starting Watts|
|At home||Refrigerator (energy star)||192||1192|
|Total||2392 W||3392 W|
|For camping||Radiant heater||1300||1300|
|Total||2380 W||2800 W|
|Electric fence (25 miles)||250||250|
|Total||2380 W||3480 W|
Does the IQ3500 have an automatic throttle control were the more power needed the higher the RPM? (Asked April 04, 2020)
Absolutely. Engine speed is automatically adjusted according to the load.
What do I need and how often do I need to do maintenance on this unit? (Asked June 08, 2020)
Couldn't find the right answer for you? Ask your own question.